Shannon Estuary

Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:23 am

24-01-05

Fished glin to for 2 hours until high tide (5pm) with one doggey bite which was lost so moved onto kilteery for another couple of hours and caught a few whiting mainly small measured at the 8 inch mark but had one to just over the 12 inchs which is my biggest whiting in long while which sadly enough kept me happy.

Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:47 am

I am ashamed to report that I have been unable to improve on that whiting record up here in N. Clare - after quite some effort.

Peter.

12 inch whiting

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:26 pm

Thats twice as big as most of the whiting Ive managed in the last 3 months. Nice to hear they are back at kilteery though
Glin is fishing terribly at the moment
Kev

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:54 pm

Glin is still worth a shot in calm weather at a lower tide that makes it easier to get into silt for dabs and whiting.

Donagh

Glin

Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:22 am

I fished Glin and what Donagh said is right I fished there and used a two up one down trace clipped down using cascade swivels with small hooks and fish baits and hit it out as far as I could say around 100-120 yds up tide and had great sessions in Glin catching whiting and dabs you can also catch them in close but fishing at range seems to doo the business.

I heard some waterford anglers caught some nice Cod over the years using fresh peeler and hitting it out a good distance in Glin..........

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:55 am

Fished fines and kellteirny last Saturday with a mate we both had our first duck of the year. There was some wind blowing but it was well over cast and we fish for 3 hours coming up to high tide. Went to see the meet in Fenit on Sunday 60 rods there and very few fish think about 5 flats and 9 or 10 coalies 1 conger lost but the sun was out and blue sky's between the lot.
Fished below the pool in fines thoes poles out there are a bit of a pain is long casting needed there?

Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:38 pm

Hi Derry,

The poles in Foynes your on about is where the yacht marina is. This is taken up in the winter. Conger are available here but only at dead low tide to a short cast. I'm sure a longer cast in the summer would get you into ray but this isn't possible with small boats passing your line every 5 minutes. I know ray have been caught off the slip way again in summer at night. Your in deep water straight away here but being able to get distance here would be an advantage as you could cover more ground.

Kilteery pier on a frosty night calm night will produce whiting in bursts so have more than one rig baited up. I use snoods trapped by rig tubing doubled over on a rig with a long mainline and vary where their placed on the rig. Often a hook 8 feet off the floor will pick the fish up over one 6 feet off the ground.

Donagh

Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:00 pm

Fished coalhill point from before 10am until after 2:30pm with high tide at 4pm in search of conger with Eoin who updated the marks page and Dave_b from the forum. Eoin had fish at his bait early on and I had a small bite but no fish. Crabs were at the bait when the tide was running and bait was untouched when slack which is sure sign of conger around but they weren't going near our squid/mackerels baits. Conger are still active in the estuary so maybe it just wasn't our day. Still great to meet up with the lads.

Eoin warned us it was a tough mark to get to as it very slippey the whole way along and even harder coming back at high tide (spring high tide would be impossible). Not a walk I'd do in darkness, rough weather or alone.

Donagh