Killiney Beach

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:44 am

Well, I am new to fishing in Ireland.
I used to fish Orfordness and Aldeburgh in the UK for Codling and Whiting mainly.
Have been to Killiney Beach 3 times now and only caught 1 small Whiting in early December.
Went again on Saturday and Sunday 8th/9th Jan and had a major problem with Seaweed whilst fishing around high tide but this may have been due to the storms. I was just left of the Beach car park.
Does anyone know if the beach is better elsewhere :?:

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:40 am

Killiney seems to have issues with weed this year. I have fished up near white rock which is north of the beach you fished on and the weed was intolerable. I fished at Greystones about an hour later that same day and it was totally weed free. It just seems the storms dig up all the weed in the area and throw it at Killiney!

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:41 pm

killiney can fish very well at times and it so hapens that one of these times will be friday or saturday.

fish up at the white house over high on fri day or sat night and youll pick up codling and coalies -good ones at that there not there in huge numbers but there there when the times right and the time should be right after the storms this week the weed should be gone by fri or sat make sure you have crab and mussell a bit of lug will do no harm but its a brave man who digs this week.

only fish 3 hours up and 3 back down or youll lose every trace you have

down the other side of the car park produces good flounder in front of the life gaurd container crab and lug maddies a killer if you can get them now fish the drop and use beads and spoons with a three hook close in and try one rod out far from march on for the plaice with big rag baits and theres also a sneaky chance of the very odd ray for the big hitters using live prawn or fresh mackeral but there not really worth targeting only at very very specific times which i think ill keep to myself sorry lads.

Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:24 am

i have heard of one or two ray being taken here over the years. caught any big plaice here lampoon? i remember talking to an old angler in wicklow before. he said he caught a plaice off killiney that he had to fold to fit into his bath tub!!

fishing

Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:47 pm

Why dont you take a journey to the shannon estuary you get all the winter species. They are much bigger and more plentyfull some nights you get sick and tired of reeling in trebble shots of whiting up to 16 inches plus in length you can also catch the usual huss and rays so its always handy to have two rods with you when fishing fish baits work fine and sand eel seems to be great for the larger whiting so if your sick of the east coast take a trip to Clare and fish the Shannon Estuary most of the productive marks are on this site there are also other marks worth trying.