Portaferry 29/12/04

Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:45 pm

Fished Portaferry for Conger between 6.30 pm and 9 15pm.Got one about 12lb after about 15 minutes and nothing more the rest of the session.Bait was Joey Mackeral and squid.Two local guys were fishing for small Pollack for Conger bait to use this weekend and they told me they regularly catch Pollack to 9lb,good Cod,Huss and one of them had a Spurdog recently.Wouldn't give any details of exactly where they fish though.Must spend some time walking the shoreline at low tide in daylight to reccy the area to try to pinpoint some potential spots.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:11 am

Nice one Shock, Possible forum meet on the 4th, U available??

Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:43 pm

Not available K2.I am back to work on 4th.P.S.the local guys were telling me that the front of that pier we fished at Portaferry is littered with all sorts of crap dumped by the trawlers.Old damaged nets ,wire ropes and bits of winches etc,so it can be a bit of a tackle graveyard.This info came a bit too late for my mate Bobby who lost six sets of gear in two hours.I was luckier,i only lost one set.Tight lines for the 4th mate.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:49 pm

Yeah, My Brother used to work on one of them, and was telling me about the amount of crap sitting out there.... Did they mention the 40ft Yacht lying 50 or 60 metres out?? That'll attract the congers then.

pier

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:16 pm

which pier is that the ferry or old one as on the 4th iam heading out with some other new starts and dont want them put off, were should we fish any were in northern ireland open to us and we want a good mark for low tide

Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:03 pm

Hi Pookie.
The pier with all the crap dumped is the one to the far left of the town.This is your left as you are looking over toward Strangford.Good luck mate.