Baily Lighthouse (Near Left Side) , Howth Report

Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:42 pm

Baily Lighthouse(near left side) Howth, 28th December 2004, 11am -3:30pm
Bait: Mackerel, Mussel, Squid, Razorfish, Indonesian Tiger Prawns, Frozen Peeler, Sandeel.

A planned Cod Trip to Web's Castle Rock turned into a day of lost gear at the near left side of the lighthouse. Two of us fished the higher rocks and two fished the concrete platform. I was mostly fishing huge baits on apulley Pennel for the codbut couldn't resort using some three hook rigs for the other species. One of my mates caught a cracker of a whiting near the start of the session, weighing in at 3/4 of a pound it was the best fish of the day. About half an hour later one of my mates lost a rig wallet to the sea! The ould tossing a string of feathers to catch the thing just resorted in the yoke sinking! I produced a nice double shot of coalies and some small codling also came my way but nothing was touching my pulley rig. The tide rose slightly over the concrete ledge and my mates moved their gear up to the higher ledge. After an hour they came up to us to grab some bait when a huge swell of the tide swept over the concrete ledges below sweeping his tripod into the sea. Luckily the rod had landed so the tip fell on the lower ledge so it was saved. After this the tide had dropped about four foot! We finished the day with 24 fish between us all coalies , small codling, whiting and dab.

Its not the first time these swells have happened at this mark so WATCH OUT!

Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:05 pm

That really is one dodgy spot George, you took a risk fishing there when the tide was so high. :shock:
Swells happen in a blink of an eye, especially if the seacat or one of the other bigger ferries was coming in. You know as well as I do, they create some waves. :x

Apart from that, it sounded like a decent enough session.
*Hoping* to get out this weekend with the brother-in-law, try another spot, IDPearl's favourite mark......i think you know where i mean. :wink:

Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:22 pm

ouch! George, if i lost my rig wallet i'd....well i don't know, but it'd be bad! a few fish though. fair play. good to hear your getting ouit Wes.

hi

Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:02 pm

ohhhh george

dont 4get the other rig wallet 2 spools of line which we lost to the sea :cry:

Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:33 am

small whiting showing to sandeel tipped with mackeral. odd dab. mussel, squid, cockle, gutted lug and crab fished poorly. didn't loose any tripods or rig wallets though! haha!

Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:22 am

No coalies m.b3, casting from the concrete platform out straight gave the biggest whiting to 3/4 lb

Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:03 pm

Hi, I used to fish the Bailey regularly before moving abroad. Just wondering if the big wave that hit while George was fishing wasn't related to the Tsunami in Indonesia. Apparently the effect of it reached the British Isles 44-48 hours after the earthquake which as we all know happened on the 26th.
Kevin

Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:41 pm

you never know , the tide did drop very fast but this was three days after the tsunami not 2 as you stated.

Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:51 pm

Remindes me of a time fishing Trabeg during last summer. There was supposed to be a storm in the Atlantic so they were giving heavy seas. I was at Trabeg trying for a Bass with a nice light offshore breeze coming in. Nice plesant evening and things were looking good. About 15 mins into the session the waves started to get bigger and bigger and BIGGER. After an hour I had pack up. There were 15 feet plus waves just rolling up the Estuary. Savage stuff. Even the surfers gave it a miss.

Kev

Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:44 pm

If your still watching lads...I think those waves are from ships. Last year I was in waders plugging for Bass at Red Rock when a big wave hit upto the chest of my jacket . About three others followed as I legged it to shore remembering I'd seen a ship minutes earlier. And then it was calmness again.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:00 pm

kevin wrote:Hi, I used to fish the Bailey regularly before moving abroad. Just wondering if the big wave that hit while George was fishing wasn't related to the Tsunami in Indonesia. Apparently the effect of it reached the British Isles 44-48 hours after the earthquake which as we all know happened on the 26th.
Kevin

The Bailey is NOT in the brittish isles :shock:
We used to get large rogue waves at dalkey before they ordered it to slow down on approach.maybe its the wash from it before it slows on its approach.
sounds dodgy spot

Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:18 pm

ug

Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:52 pm

Terry wrote:The Bailey is NOT in the brittish isles

Erm, can I just point out that although some guys may not like it, Ireland is in fact part of the British Isles. The name defines a purely geographic area.

See http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/britishisles/ for some info.

Matt

british isles

Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:04 pm

children children, Can we not get on????????

Red Rock

Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:08 am

Red Rocks OK Terry once you remember to watch for any fast moving ships. Anyway I can swim and doubt I would have got anymore than a soaking if it toppled me. I think Kevin may have been quoting reports he heard in Sydney.