s.beach greystones- green shed 'fish'n meet'

Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:28 pm

rain then wind then more rain and then more wind with the odd fish in between. nice to meet yee all lads, shame about the fishing/ weather, take your pick! hope your all still alive. we certainly proved our salt.

Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:27 pm

My gear's nearly dried out! Knew it would rain, didn't know it would be THAT bad though! Enjoyed it all the same and a few fish to boot.

Thanks for your leftover bait Seaniebo. I've enough for a session on Thursday now!

Really must invest in a beach shelter though.

Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:47 pm

Yes,
Nice to put faces to names, hopefully we won't need scuba gear next time..

Cheers
J

Fish??

Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:37 pm

Lads, it would be nice to hear what fish etc., ye caught between ye too 8)

Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:12 pm

Can't say for sure, because we didn't keep a proper tally. I know I had 2 codling, 2 whiting and 2 coalies. Sean had something similar. M.b3 had a few.

All were small fish though - and all went back except for one small coalie which I kept for a tope bait! It went back in as a flapper!!

There was a small fishing comp next to us and the fellow next to me had a couple of Dabs, a few coalies and a couple of codling - all under a foot though.

The biggest fish was about a 1.5lb codling caught nearest to the rocks by a chap in the comp.

Baits were everything - peelers, fresh lug, frozen lug, squid, mussel, cockles, mackerel and sandeels. All my fish took a mussel/squid combo on 2 or three hook flappers. I did chuck out some big baits on the pulley in the hope of something bigger to no avail.

Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:19 pm

Well I caught absolutely nothing as usual.. but I did get a bit of exercise chasing my umbrella down the beach about 700 times :?

Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:23 pm

Did you lads stay much longer after I left? No probs with the bait Ian, the lady of the house wont let me near the fridge with leftover bait so it would have just been chucked out otherwise, glad it'll be put to use. Nice meeting everyone even if the conditions werent ideal for strolling around chinwagging and happy new year to all

Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:58 pm

You left at the right time. About 10 minutes after you left, the rain was horizontal and plentiful. It swung round to come along the beach and blew everything all over the place. Wasn't very pleasant really!