ballgannon rocks greystones 22/12/2004

Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:10 am

fished here last night, just a short two hour session, conditions were perfect with full tide around 9.30. tried this wd40 on the baits and really seemed to attract the fish. first cast a 28cm dab, second cast a 30cm codling, third cast another thick dab, and then i caught something none of the three of us had seen before on the fourth cast i got a lovely fight on the retrieve and taught i was into a better codling but when i got it in i had a massive devil fish on the line, well what i consider massive. it was about 27cm in lengh a weighed about a pound...never seen one that big before..took some pics and sent him swimming... 8 dabs,3 codling,1 whitning,1 flounder, 1 devil fish...betwwen the 3 of us...give that wd40 a try

Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:22 am

this might sound stupid but what is a devil fish

nige

Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:17 am

well i have heard them called many differnet names, devil fish, horny cobbler, its some type weaver fish.

Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:24 am

Is that a Sea Scorpian then??

Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:07 am

k2 you hit the nail on the head... the name had eluded me...well it was the biggest i have ever seen...

Re: ballgannon rocks greystones 22/12/2004

Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:08 am

gitboy wrote:give that wd40 a try
Please enlighten a swedish lad, what is WD40? There is something thats called WD40 that i know of but thats a canned lubricant that smells like bubblegum.

Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:19 am

yes that it... its an oil based lubricant that is in a blue perssurised can...mad i know but i have to say after using it its seems to work well for dabs and whitting...i wouldn't go mad on it if i was fishing for codlin cause i caught them on the hooks with no wd40...hope this helps

Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:32 am

gitboy wrote:yes that it... its an oil based lubricant that is in a blue perssurised can...mad i know but i have to say after using it its seems to work well for dabs and whitting...i wouldn't go mad on it if i was fishing for codlin cause i caught them on the hooks with no wd40...hope this helps
its worth a try then... wd40 is like the crc-56 that we have here, same same but different :wink: i have to try it out.
thanks for the tip sir.

Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:54 am

caught one of those lads o think last year out with neil frankish at bullock harbour. strange looking bugger

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:35 pm

The devil fish you refer to is actually a short spined bullhead. It is the fish with the most names which makes it so confusing [img]http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pics/shortspinedbullhead.jpg[/img]

Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:01 pm

Aye, as I said, a 'Short Spined Sea Scorpian'... laffin.

Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:57 pm

george thanks for that and one one in the pic is of similar size to the one i got. fished greystones pier actually just back...caught 14 coalie all small bar one... fifteen feet from the wall with mackeral