Benone (Mcgilligan) Strand

Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:40 pm

Open Competition last Sunday 12/12/04 10 counting fish caught.
Very bad return. I fish Competitions there on a regular basis. I think now that this beach should be closed for a period, to allow for recovery. Between Club /Open/& Private individuals fishing, an average of about 60 per week.

I must say that the competition its self was organised to a very high standard

Benone (Mcgilligan) Strand

Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:11 pm

I would fish this beach the odd time, and it is very hit n miss. There is always talk of Bass being caught at Downhill, but they are few and far between, and i must have fished there over 20 times last year before i got one. Ok it was a nice fish of 6lb, but i know anglers who fish it regularly, and their success rate is about 1 Bass per 30 or so visits.
There is always allot of angling activity along the beach, as you say, it holds allot of competitions, but i think the main reason for the poor results are the trawlers, that do come in close to the shore. I have seen them come within a few hundred yrds of the beach. This cannot help things can it?
I fished at Castlerock, which is just along the coast last week, and had quite a few flounder, with the biggest going to 2lb weight.
Most of the flounder in the area are usually small, so this was a surprise catch for me.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:01 am

Still it was a nice turbot that won!!