They're out there - LOCKED!

Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:13 pm

Hi

I missed all this so I have no idea what exactly it is about (and I'm not all that inclined to find out) but suffice to say several people have been on to me about what they consider to be less than polite postings by "guests".

Most of the people who contacted me are regular members. The fact is that the majority of people who use the forums are guests (around 1000). I have no interest in or wish to disable this facility and limit posts to registered members, albeit at some point we might have no alternative.

I do agree with Rocky when he says that your ID is your reputation and if poeple want to post anonymously, well clearly it will carry less weight than if you are prepared to stand up and be counted. The famous dollymount basses caught on live whitings being a fair example.

This said I personally feel that people should be entitled to post as guests i.e. anonmyously, witness the recent debate on the netting of bass.

What everyone needs to remember is that the written word is very easily misinterpreted, which is why the emoticons are so useful.

We had to delete someone who thought it would be funny to have sadam hussein as their avatar / ID this morning and clearly "killing people" is not appropriate to this forum. It is YOUR forum.

If we agree to respect other people's opinions, we'll get on fine...

Thanks
Last edited by kieran on Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:00 pm

hi Kieran I am the second "guest" to reply to IDpearl. To hear the messages posted to be described as "less than polite" I think is unfair.I did not mean to offend IDpearl in anyway, afterall it is every anglers right to take home his catch, I was merely voicing my opinion. If I offended anybody in any way I am sorry but are'nt peoples opinions the main point of a forum!

Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:33 pm

Kieran
I agree with you If people cannot behave them selves, only members with a pass word should be allowed access, and if those with a password misbehave cut them off.
dingbat

Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:02 pm

I have to agree with you on this one Kieran. At first I though that everyone that wanted to post should be registered but after the netting of bass thread I also saw the reason to have a "guest" post. One thing I would say that if you want to voice a strong opinion at least have the manners to put your name or your regular nickname to the post.

Kev

Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:18 pm

And if I ever do pluck up the courage to post a picture again, I'll make sure it is a monster fish on a size 6/0 with a smile on its face - using Fish 'n' Strips as bait! That way, no-one will be offended! :lol:

Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:04 pm

laffin,

Everybodies happy.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:23 pm

Good man ID, welcome back !! :D

Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:48 am

Doesn't it just get you, right here (sobs out loud) :cry: .

Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:22 am

It would be a sad day if one of the forums most regular (and genuine) posters quit because of this kind of thing.

It's very easy to criticise and put people down, in fact it's a very Irish thing. Constructive criticism is always welcomed, but matters should never become personal or over heated.

This is a forum for beginners, as well as more advanced and regular fishermen. It would be a shame to have new members shy away from the forum because of infighting and bickering. Most people come on here to ask advice, post reports, and provide information which they think may be of benefit to others.

I do not want the forum to go down the road other forums have taken. For instance some UK forums in the past simply became battle grounds with several parties openly in dispute with each other. Not only does this distract from the topic we are all here to write about (our obsession with fishing), but it also means people simply stop logging on to the site. This is by far the best forum I have ever encountered, and has grown hugely over the years. And the reason for this is that it has always had a "community" spirit, where new posters were always made welcome, and where everyone felt they had a voice.

So, by all means question things, disagree with things if you feel strongly about something that has been written. But do it in a manner that won't damage the forum. Debate is a healthy thing, and can educate others who may not be aware of the topics that are being discussed. Open criticism is just negative and will only cause grief.

Let's put this one to bed anyway, I think anyone who has read the posts has learned something from them.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:02 pm

It would be a petty to lose out on guests but Its getting to the stage that limiting to registered users is the way to go. I missed out on the thread but many of the English forums have been destroyed with this kind of rubbish. Its usually 14 year olds who think they can cast 160 yards with baits or they can catch double figure bass when every one else is scratching for dabs. Please don't take this as an attack on Junior anglers as I try to encourage them where ever possible. Its just the same minority around that put me off angling when I was a kid with their BS.

Donagh

Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:40 pm

Missed out on most of what happened due to arrival of a baby girl but I throughly agree with Steve O Hanlons comments.I joined this forum as a beginner and have learned loads from you all.It would be a shame to see something that has been so helpful descend to infighting.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:53 pm

Congrats Col , you're not tempted to name her Holly or Noelle are you ? :)

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:21 pm

well to b honest lads i think the best we can do is not give so much attention to that sort of thing by guests. i do however think it is important to b able to post a message annom. i dont think anyone would object if guests post who r deemed to be offensive were deleted . i dont think anyone of the regulars on here think kieran is any way heavy handed with this sort of think. r anyother option would b to allow members to post anom if they so wished and if the thread is offensive it can easily b tracked back to them. i assume kieran can do this with ip addresses anyway

Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:10 pm

congragulations bigcool to you and your good lady, and the baby girl.
dingbat

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:49 pm

For God's sake don't post the pictures or we'll never hear the last of it!!

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:57 pm

ur right there id!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
bad enough baby cod on the site it would b bloody shut down with baby cols on it!!!!!

Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:03 pm

lol!! :lol:

good to see the whole episode hasn't dented Ian's sense of humour

Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:07 pm

Thanks lads.POLLOCKS to putting up a photo. :D

Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:25 pm

Steve O Wrote:
And the reason for this is that it has always had a "community" spirit, where new posters were always made welcome, and where everyone felt they had a voice.

Damn right. I'm here nearly 9 Months now, Wouldnt regurlarly post anywhere else!

Congrats

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:05 pm

Congrats Bigcol. Now if only you could catch a bass as big....................................................