Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:15 am

Was begining to think think there wern't any sane people in this forum, but at last some sensible comments !

Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:20 am

Fact is fish of that size, of any species are simply fodder, its the natural way of doing things, I could go through the steps of explaining the Food chain, But I wont bother... Even a fish of 1.5lb is still a nice Munchable size for conger/tope/huss/skate. another Fact is, if we return a seriously damaged fish likelyhood is, one of the big boys will pick up on its scent/distress signals... and munch it.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:05 pm

I think you’re all kind of missing the point. I was simply saying that IDPeral should have had more cop on than to put a small fish like that into a picture on one of his posts. INCIDENTLY THE PICTURE I REFER TO WAS REMOVED BY IDPEARL AT 10 O CLOCK ON MONDAY NIGHT.

I didn’t suggest that killing small fish like that could be avoided. I myself have caught loads of the things and the vast majority die when they are unhooked. However, I wouldn’t dream of taking a picture of them and then posting them on an angling site!!!!!!! :roll:

Lads it is admirable that you are all sticking up for your buddy IDPearl but the simple fact is: He should not have posted a picture with a dead undersized fish in it. And the fact that IDPeral has now removed the picture shows he might be regretting it. If it wasn’t so wrong why did he take it down?

Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:18 pm

Because it caused so much crap from "guests"! I love my fishing. I spend all week thinking about it, making rigs, watching the weather, sorting out bait, weights etc. I enjoy the raw beauty of nature. I'm standing there on Sunday, all alone on a rock in the middle of nowhere, dolphins swimming around in front of me and the reel starts to click. There rod tip is nodding and more line goes out. The anticipation and the tension is overwhelming.

Now p off and leave me to fish in peace!

Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:37 pm

Because you all dont like the input of guest posters Ive decided to join.

So ID do you agree that you should not have posted those pictures?

This is what all the fuss is about!

juvey fish

Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:54 pm

ID was out of line to post that but lets not flog it to death, of all posters i've read on this site i think he as aware of conservation issues as anyone. on another point i find the input of most guest users unhelpful. if somone wants to post something badly enough let them join. any other users think the forums should be closed to guests?...let people join before giving them carte blanche on the forums

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:03 pm

Ok so there was one fish undersize in the pic and you want what an apology from ID for posting it or for him to say sorry I was wrong for posting that picture….give me a break and get off your high horse there guest whoever the hell you are and go bloody fishing yourself. By the way I have never meet ID and don’t know him at all just from his posts on the forum…I too would have taken the picture down with all the crap that was started because of one undersized fish.

Edit: I too think the guest account should be disabled..

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:09 pm

It isnt about conservation its about basic cop on.

The image of this site isnt helped by registered users backing up ID and his pictures.

I think it is important that people say that it was inappropriate and should act as a warning for future posters not to show pictures of undersized fish. Would the moderators like to back me up on this one?

What would any outsider think, an angler from the UK for example?? Seeing a 'conservation minded' angler taking pictures of tiny codling does little to enhance the image of this site and Irish angling in general.

And I promise thats my rant finished!!!! :twisted:

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:16 pm

would someone mind tellin me whats happened! all ican see are posts that say seleted on them and then irate messages under it

rant

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:20 pm

Don't know IDPearl but have read and enjoyed many posts and pictures with his name on them.
The reason, I feel, that many registered users are backing him up is that it isn't fair for somebody to hide behind the "guest" smokescreen and blast him with over the top rants. He does not deserve it and it's cowardly and disgusting.
Should users have a view on the merits of him posting his pictures, then it would be fairer and more appropriate to identify themselves when posting, and pose their questions in a way designed not to accuse or condemn, but to firstly find out what actually happened, and secondly raise their points in a manner that promotes debate rather than rancour.

(humble opinion of a crap but enthusiastic fisher)

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:23 pm

Guest wrote:It isnt about conservation its about basic cop on.
The image of this site isnt helped by registered users backing up ID and his pictures.

Ok then, if that's the case what is your name and where are you from. Think that's only fair.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:31 pm

ah didnt see that there were 2 pages!!!!!!1 lol all has been revealed.and i reckon that "guest" is just a member who want to stay anon. they seem to know plenty about the site

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:42 pm

What has that got to do with anything?

Whats ID' name and where is he from?
Whats your name and where are you from?
Whats RockyB23' name and where is he from?

I wont tell you my name but im living in Dublin.

And let me just set a couple of things straight. I dont know ID either and if you look at any of my other posts (9, 11, 23, 25 and my replies as Guest) you will see that my only gripe is with his pictures. I agree that ID provides good and reliable info on marks etc and he is one of the best posters on the forum.

However, launching a personal attack on me is I think unfair. Just because my views go against the norm in here doesnt mean that im wrong or should be blocked from posting. My opinions as a registered user are as valid as the next persons.

As i said that is my contribution to the debate. If you all think the pictures were acceptable then this really isnt the type of forum I want to be a part of anyway.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:51 pm

You jumped all over him about the pictures, alright they shouldn't have been posted but my god do you really think that 1 picture of 1 undersize codling is gonna start so much trouble, all the english anglers stop coming here, CFB is gonna go after ID. The cods stocks are gonna decline rapidly cause of 1 picture of 1 undersize fish....IDpearl is his initials from what I understand. You object to the picture fine but your also making it into something that it is not.

I think first responses where out of line, they could have been more constructive...

John Higgins

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:58 pm

Fair enough if the first posts were a bit OTT I apologise, but I do feel very strongly about the issue and that anglers need to be told when they do something that could jeopardise the image of the sport.

And thank you for finally acknowledging that it was the wrong thing to do.

rant

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:00 pm

solely on a point of netiquette (crap word) , not anything to do with the pictures:
I think the "what's your name" thing is important, not because gangs of enraged posters are going to find you in the middle of the night, but because your name is your reputation, kind of, on a forum such as this. It's a matter of trust and respect towards your fellow posters - you can sign in as one person with one id and say whatever, and then sign in as "guest" and blast away merrily without the risk of damaging your good name.
Again, my humble opinion and I'm not suggesting that this Guest was blasting away merrily - however I do think that some people signed in as guests were.
conor, cork.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:05 pm

I agree some of the guest posters were just merely trying to aggravate the situation and ID.

In relation to 'guest' being another registered user I can assure you that I am not.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:09 pm

Looks to me like the guy spends a long time making his rigs instead of buying them, is willing to try new things goes out and proves that his rigs work fine for him and then gets criticised.

Just what is an undersized cod anyway. I'm sure you all go out and catch whiting and mackerel smaller than "that" cod and quite happily take them home. I for one am happy to see cod being caught from the shore instead of being hauled up in the nets of trawlers that are coming ever closer to shore.

OK, so the fish was on the small side, but ID has explained that the fish was already dead. I've lost count of the Dab I've had which have swallowed the hook to the point of no return. OK, so maybe he shouldn't have posted the photo, but it looks like all he wanted to do was share his good fortune of catching fish.

I've looked through his previous posts and he has always been curtious and helpful, with some good tips to boot. At least he's catching fish instead of just talking about it.

Just my 2cents.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:31 pm

I'd say a lot of people have learned a lesson or two from this post. Maybe now's the time to put it behind us and move on. Bickering like this has been the ruination of a few forums. Let's not go down the same path -maybe the administrator could bury the post as it will do more harm than good staying up here.

ID, no one will gain by you not posting any more, on the contrary, you have a lot more to give than most. I didnt see your first posts so can't pass judgement (and wouldn't anyway). You're not doing yourself , or the rest of us, any favours by not sharing your angling exploits and knowledge.

Just my opinion - for all that it's worth !! :D :?: :!: