oh what a night!

Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:13 pm

best session of me life last night - fished dollymount - what a venue never fished it before i took 3 bass 3 pounder a 7 pounder and a 14 pounder all on live whiting baits close in also took a huge flounder of 3.25 ib its on its way to the fisheries board and pictures will be posted on the forum this week. My mate has taken some nice fish here the last few weeks so i travelled over to give it a go - il be back.

what a night

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:23 pm

hi

i would just like to know what bait you were using i mite give it a go next week

Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:55 pm

Whiting live bait is the answer :oops:

Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:15 am

Live Whiting???

Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:01 pm

A flounder took a live whiting bait??????????????????

Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:32 pm

Mind you my question marks were more to do with the legality of it then what they caught...

Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:47 pm

Live baiting is legal when fishing in the sea.

Donagh

Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:49 pm

every now and again, we always seem to come back to the topic of live baiting, and the thread goes on for an age.
Does anybody have a link to an SFB page stating the law on this?

Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:05 pm

There is a Irish fisheries page that states that live baiting is illegal. What it doesn't (or didn't) say was that the law refers specifically to live baiting with roach for pike in non-roach-infested rivers in ireland.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:10 pm

http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/abo ... lation.htm

Live baiting is banned to stop roach being introduced into trout fisheries. As game anglers blame them for taking the trout food supplies and their fry putting trout off the dry fly. Many Non-pike course anglers don't like it because its destroyed the rudd population in many lakes and the danger of spread of disease. The long and the short of it wasn't introduced on animal welfare grounds.

Donagh

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:02 am

Come on now lads, a flounder eating a live whiting..... get a grip. Has anyone seen the size of a flounders mouth, even a 3 pounder wouldnt be able to get it in!!!!

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:20 pm

I would just like to echo what Donagh said. Live baiting for pike is Banned. It was banned to stop the spread of fish and fish disease from one water to another. Morality has nothing to do with it. I have always though that live baiting in the sea would be an excellent way if fishing off the shore for bass. I suppose when we pull of one of the legs off a crap and put it on the hook for a bit of wrasse fishing were livebaiting here as well.

Kev

Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:03 pm

Well after that debate regarding the use of livebaits, I'm going to return to the topic in hand.

Bassy, where abouts on the beach were you fishing?

Cheers

Matt

Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:16 pm

Before everyone starts scurring live whiting on hooks may be we should wait till this guy sends in a picture. last time there was a claim of a double figure bass in Dublin on this forum the evidence wasn't produced. Some of the replies sent previously on this forum by someone calling themselves bassy were unhelpful or the work of a smart arse. No offense is meant by this to bassy as you may be a completely different person and perfectly genuine in your report.

Donagh

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:19 pm

the evidence was shown to me alright!!1 it was my brother taking the piss out of me!!!!! especially when i went back to him to tell him of our immenent bass hunt, he got good value out of that one and i fell for it hook line and sinker!! i think neil will b able to vouch for my bros sense of humour!!!! and directions!!!!!! lol

Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:30 pm

lads the pics are on the way prob fri or sat, lads the bass took the live whiting not the flounder which took lug tipped with mackeral which is an excelent bait for sorting out the men from the boys, a picture will also be placedin rory's tackle shop this weekend.