Strandhill Beach Sligo

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:26 pm

Myself and two buddies Kirl and Big Ralph fished Strandhill looking for Bass no luck. Incoming tide 1pm to 4pm Very good surf running.
Kirl on his second cast hooked into a fish which turned out to be a 2lb hake. I have never seen one caught off a beach before.Big Ralph who is a Chef i.d. it for us. After that 6 flounder between us. Bait Rag. Lug. Maddies. Sand eel. Mackerel. Then a good Steak in a local Resturant
Dingbat :roll:

hake!

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:51 am

Hi Dingbat

Are you absolutely 100% sure it was a hake!

They are normally a deep water species and I know a few have been caughts in the Donegal Bay area, but seriously I have never heard of them being caught off a beach anywhere! Amazing - one in a lifetime I reckon...

Thanks

Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:09 pm

Hello Kieran
I have checked it in a book I have, and I am 99% sure it is a hake. I realise it is a deep water species, but obviously it strayed into shallower waters. The Surf was running very heavy and the area was near some rocks on the beach. The fish was full of shrimp and small shells, it was caught on Mackerel bait. I know it is strange, and by all standards should not happen, I have never heard of one been caught off the beach. They are rare enough from a boat.

Mick Kirwan

Have you fished this beach before

Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:20 pm

I have walked this beach many times, and often thought to fish it. I have spoken to a few people up there but nobody could ever give me serious information on how it fished. Where exactly did you fish it what bait, rigs, distance etcc. I may give it a go over Christmas. I know its deep in parts in comparision to most of the beaches up there and this may be good for codling over the winter. Any thoughts?

Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:02 pm

We fished it like any surf beach with the wind in your face. 3 hook flapper. in front of the steps. Bait, lug. rag, mackerel. 5oz rolling lead no great distance
Local lad said he fishes the Cullinamore end of the beach, that would be to the left as you face the beach. That was out first time fishing that beach

Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:13 pm

Thanks for the reply, Hopefully I will get a chance to fish it a Christmas. I think the Cullinamore end is predominantly fished for sea-trout (like the Moy estuary), but I assume there is good flounder there. I know a mark futher inland towards Ballisodare which used to throw up brillent flounder. Anyway if I fish it over Christmas I will report.