The Gannons, Greystone South Beach

Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:52 pm

Tried the Gannons this morning for the first time. 2 small flounder saved the day. I must be doing something wrong, 'coz the fella further up south beach caught a nice flounder, a couple of nice sized coalies and a bass of about 1.5lb. He was using sandeel, rag, herring and mackerel, but I only had rag and squid.

Nice morning though...

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/idpearl/TheGannons.jpg[/img]

Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:56 am

Hi Ian.

Is that near the golf driving range?

Cheers

Matt

Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:02 am

Yup. If you drive past the driving range, there is a sharp right hand bend. Park on the left hand side next to the fence and walk beside the stream, over the tracks and that is what you'll see as a view.

Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:00 pm

Is the ground there always that rough or is it on account of the recent storms? Went through an entire box of weights that morning (btw. nice to meet you Mr. ID Pearl, I was the guy fishing next to you!)

Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:56 pm

Hi Viper! You obviously did so much better than me!! It is quite snaggy since the storms. I was using 25lb line and 60lb rigs as I usually fish rocky grounds. I was pulling on the string a couple of times and brought up some wierd spongy coral type stuff.

Still jealous of your catch though!!

Did you stay much longer?

Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:10 am

Probably left about an hour after you (when I completly ran out of weights) and headed to Wicklow pier for a few hours to use up the bait... loads of whiting and a few very small codling. the guy with me (also on the forum, swordfish) caught a lovely little cookoo wrasse just over the side on a rag - thats two firsts for the day after the earlier bass!