Any spots fishing well on Dublin northside recently??

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:40 pm

Howya.. just wondering if theres any spots worth checking out on northside Dublin or even further north.. I've been fishing more Greystones and out that general direction recently but its a pain in the arse to get to from the n.side with all the traffic.. takes away from it all when you have to sit in traffic for 2 hours on the way back ya know!!

Cheers,

Bren

Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:03 am

Depends what you're fishing for. Flatties are along the Malahide/Portmarnock beaches, with occasional bass. Whitings at night. Pollock & codling around Howth now.

Check out http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shor ... dublin.htm

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:34 pm

Great Codling fishing from web's castle rock in Howth at the moment!!!!

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:18 pm

where exactly is webs castle rock.Could you give us directions

Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:16 pm

Yeah I was planning on giving Howth a try alright.. Thanks for the advice. I was going to go today, but ended up I was going to have to go on my own, dont mind fishing on my own, but when it comes to negotiating some dangerous paths down to the mark, better to have more than 1 going, so I gave it a miss for this week. Will give it a shot next week though.. cheers,
Bren

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:38 pm

Its a rock to the left of the baily lighthouse gate with a "bridge of stone" across it. Be careful!

South shore Rush

Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:50 pm

Ive being fishing south shore Rush for a couple of weeks,plenty of fish being caught flounder , dab , whitning , codling , plaice and bass nearer Rogerstown estuary. A 10 lb bass was caught last november giving a great fight all the way up the beach. The best bait here is rag worm it never fails and suprizes you every time.Fishing at night gives bst results on a high tide when almost full in. try it out !!!

Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:28 pm

Thanks.. must try that out.. went out yesterday to the end of Howth east pier to the right off the rocks as you reach the lighthouse at the end. Dont know if this is the best spot as its the first time I've fished up there.. it was LASHING rain.. but I was determined. It was so cold that even time I reeled in, I had to put my hands back in my pockets for at least 5 minutes before I was able to move them again and bait up, no joke. Anyway, all I could manage was 4 tiny whiting for my troubles. Bait was frozen lug, squid, peeler and mackeral. :( I am useless.. I just seem incapable of catching a decent fish! My best fish of the autumn so far is a flounder of just under 1lb.. thats how bad I am :oops: I need help. Or else I need to meet up with some people from this forum and take advantage of some of their experience! :D Anyway.. I'll just have to keep on trying. Bren

Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:44 pm

dont despair bren, i reckon youre just on a streak of bad luck or else you need a few minor ajustments. Afew questions for you .
What venues have you fished this autumn.?
Do you fish during the day or night?
what size hooks do you use?
do you vary your casting distance?

These are all very important and can greatly increase your catches.
Its also a matter of trail and error and experience. for emample knowing what tide fishes best on a venue!
matching baits to common baits in the area!
depth on the beach !
likely species!
matching rigs with the ground and strengh of tide!
matching hooks to likely species!

bren il give you an example to try.
fish greystones north beach at the very top of the beach at the rocks.
fish it 3hours down to low water and 3 hours back up .
fish two rods 1 med range and one at distance use 1 hook pully pennel rigs with a 1/0 and a 3/0 hooks with short snoods.
use a rotten bottom, use rag, crab mussel and a bit of mackeral.
and most importantly fish a low tide in darkeness.
il promise you codling , whiting ,dogs coalies and the off chance of a good flounder bass or strap conger.
try this beach when the conditions suit what ive described and youll never look back.

Thanks Lampoon

Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:24 pm

Nice one Lampoon Have always fished Greystones for the last three hours of the high tide followed by a couple of hours after, the opposite to what ytou recommend. Will hit the beach with a new vigour now!!