Kilcoole Mon 8th

Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:23 am

Hello my lovelys.
Fished above venue again tonight from 17.00 til 22.30. High tide seemed to be about 20.30 - 21.00. It was a decent nights fishing with 1 whiting, 3 Dogs and 9 Codling to 1.5lbs. The session started off slow with the odd dog for the first couple of hours but as high tide occured the codling really came on the feed. I was getting a fish a cast for about 40 minutes. It was during this time that while reeling in one rod I noticed the other one nodding away to what looked like another decent codling bite. I put down the rod I was reeling in and picked up the one with the bite on it. When I tightened up to strike I was snagged so I put the rod back down with the pressure still on it and resumed with the first rod, reeled it in changed traces and cast back out. Then I picked back up the snagged rod and was about to pull for a break when it came free with the fish still attached. It felt like a decent sized fish (maybe a decent codling of about 3 -4lb) but as it got within sight of the shore it went completely nuts. I was reeling in shockleadrer at this stage so the fish was right in front of me and had it been light I could have seen what it was but when it started to run there wasnt any chance of stopping it. I reeled in my trace (a 2 hook patternoster) with both hooks gone and the snood line frayed. Does anyone have any idea what this might have been? Ive caught plenty of smoothies from the shore and I have to say that thats what it felt like when it got sight of the shore and decided to run, but I was using 25lb snoods and it bit through the two of them which Ive never had a smut do before. It didnt feel heavy enough to be a tope but then again it didnt feel heavy at all until it cought sight of the shoreline. Could it have been a tope following in a codling and just snapping it up as it approached shore? Any thoughts/opinions would be welcomed
Cheers

Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:54 am

Hiya Sean.

It could have been a doggy on speed :)

Matt

Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:16 pm

Dont be silly matt. Where would a dogfish get the money to buy speed? Dont say off a loan shark!

Dont be silly

Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:28 pm

Off a loan shark- He'd be hammered in interest payments . (hammered,hammerhead,get it) I really dont have anything better to do you know
Kev

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:01 pm

Thats a load of bull bigkev (bull - bullshark). Ill get my coat

Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:29 am

Brilliant replies like the cowboy said doggone
dingbat