Shannon Estuary Night 3 Nov 2004

Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:36 pm

Myself and my dad had one of our best sessions on the Shannon Estuary in years we caught whiting up to 15 ins long, dogs huss rockling coalies conger pouting the fishing was unbelievable and i missed one big fish it droped off beside the pier have a feeling it was a cod as the night before one of the locals caught codling up to four and five pounds.
I fished a few marks last year and we were catching most of the species the lads catch on the east coast but much bigger like trebble shots of whiting well over 12 ins dogs dabs that was in Glin.
Its a pity people wont be a bit adventerous and fish the more harder spots to fish in darkness around the shannon estuary there is more to life than the piers as I recon there are some cracking marks on the Clare side and a few deeper beaches around the Quilty side which I had some great sessions last winter.
The distance casting can be good at night on the Clare side for whiting dabs coalies and we even catch the odd plaice too the Bass are usually in closer.

Re: Shannon Estuary Last Night

Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:07 am

Where is the best spots as gonna make another trip there before Christmas...

John

Well done mate

Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:37 am

This weekends fishing we decided to miss the estuary figuring after all the recent rain that the estuary would be dour. Guess I got that wrong. Might have to reassess. Had planned on fishing a beach mark near tralee . What baits and rigs were you using ? Which side of the estuary?
I will not blank this weekend, got the new digital camera to try out
Kev

Fishing Shannon Estuary

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:34 pm

I was using small strips of mackerel on size 4 hooks sandeels are even better just cut the sand eels into sections around this length ................ and use them on a 3 hook flapper rig cast out around 50 to 60 yards the fishing is best in darkness as daytime fishing isnt great its kinda hard to describe but when you fish this pier the fishing is best on the left hand side of the pier and when casting out just cast it slightly to the left twoards the island as this always seems to be the most productive spot.
Cappa pier on the clare side is where i caught them in darkness.
Its a small pier so I dont broadcast it as sometimes it gets a bit packed.