a cod, a cod, my kingdom for a god

Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:55 pm

Living in dublin and planning to get out this sunday.Anyone know where i might have a realistic chance of a cod from the shore. :?

Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:38 pm

Have you tried Greystones? A few sizable codling have been taken there, although I should point out that they seem to be few and far between at present. North and South beach have both produced, although I am not sure about the harbour. As for baits, most of the fish that I know of have fallen to peelers, but lug should start to work pretty soon.

Tight Lines

Cheers

Matt

re

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:22 am

North Beach would be by far the best spot for Codling at the moment.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:17 pm

As andrew said you cant go far wrong with North beach Greystones, using peeler as bait after dark with a rising tide, in fact i'll stick my neck out and say you cant fail to catch a codling in the above conditions.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:01 pm

Thanks i think i'll try north beach then.seems like the best bet. :D :roll:

Coddling this winter

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:25 pm

I know its a little early but the signs down this end of the country look very promising (I hope I don't jink it by writing this). The codling have shown up early and are increasing in size as the autumn progresses. I hope I can get a decent one this winter, but things are looking good.
Whats the story in your areas?
Lets hope

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:06 pm

Well, the codling that are being caught up here are just sizable. they do seem to be few and far between at the moment, but hopefully by the end of november, there should be alot more of them about. From what I have heard, so far this is proving to be an excellent year for codling around the dublin area.

Lets hope it true :)

Cheers

Matt

Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:30 pm

I can certainly vouch for the fact there are a good few codling about, it is the first winter i've really tried hard to get out consistently (at least once every 2 weeks) and I've caught codling on every trip, albeit on one trip I only had one and that was palm sized (but i had no peeler). But on any other trip i've had about 10, the best being about 2lb, but a good few over 1lb.