Greystones South Beach

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:50 pm

Hello all.
Fished this venue today from about 11.30am til 4.30pm and was saved from a blank on the last cast by a trusty old Doggie. There was only a bit of a north easterly blowing but the sea was still choppy and full of weed from the storm. Met up with Dillon the rabbit and Ed Burke off the forum (Both much uglier than their names suggest). Saw a coalie of about a pound being caught by an angler further down the beach. Dillon the Rabbit managed to catch a trace which he'd lost on a previous cast (again!) with a nice Dab attached to it! Hopefully the other lads off the forum who went out later fared better.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:01 am

pity we missed yee lads. we must have gotten there just after yee left. we were a bit behind timewise. we fished for a few hours into dark. weed was troublesome but i think Ian got the worst of it! nice night though. fishing poor. we certainly caught a fair share of fish but nothing of note. Ian did manage his first bass though which was good! predominantly small coalies with odd flatties, codling and whiting and dogs.

baits where rag, mussel, peeler crab, mackeral, squid and maddies. rag and mackeral was reliable as usual, but mussel took most fish. Ian had a doggie that scoffed a whole squid! try from 20 yards out too 100+. most fish came at 40.

amazed at the lack of half decent fish. i thought we were in with a chance of an odd decent coalie or bass....it will have to be next time.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:47 am

So Seaniebo & co, where were you fishin? We came out at the south car park at about 3:15pm and turned right. Fished about half way between that tunnel and the rocks at the far right of the beach. There was a guy spinning who had got fed up with the weed and further up was an older fellow who had caught a schoolie and a few coalies + dog. Toward the rocks were some other guys with beach shelters - was that you????

Still happy with me bass!!!
Last edited by IDPearl on Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:20 am

Hi All.

Sean and I were fishing down towards the rocks near the stream.

What size was the bass Ian? I hope your first one was an half decent size. Your right, the fishing wasn't as good as I expected it to be, it could have been down to the amount of floating weed, and the fact that it was still fairly rough. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :D

See ya soon.

Cheers

Matt

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:20 pm

Only a small bass unfortunately........but still a bass and I'm happy. We didn't think you would be so far down the beach, otherwise we would have come over. You looked a bit professional with the bivvies up! After you left, another couple of guys arrived and set up a small village on the beach. It looked like a small village anyway, with the bright lights and red tip lights. I thought they were aircraft warning beacons until I saw one moving around and the swing around as he cast!

I'm happy we stayed for a while as we ended up with over twenty fish between us!

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:57 pm

I know its short notice but im thinking of heading out again about 3 pm today if any of you are up for it. Ill be logging back on before I leave to check. If not Ill post a report and smack talk about all of you for not turning up. All the best.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:46 pm

Well I made it back without being interfered with by any ghosties. The fishing wasnt bad. Fished from 17.00 to 21.00 and had 2 dab, 2 coalies and 6 codling. One of the Dab was a decent size and one of the coalies was about half a pound. Everything else was pretty small.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:00 am

Thanks for posting back I was interested as to how you had got on.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:25 am

fished the back of the hotel on sat night. at the back og the hotel. to 2 hours. caught: 8 whiting, 5 coalie(one big one), 2 doggies and 1 flounder. between two of us. things lookin better.