north clare coast

Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:29 pm

two of us fished a spot on the clare coast last night, 6:30-11:30 low tide 9:45. had countless doggies, 3 thornback rays the best being 8 pound, 1 huss 5 pound, 1 pouting and congers...we only managed to land 1 of he congers, tiped the scales at 20 pound. we hooked another 6 congers but getting them up a 20ft sheer cliff seemed to be our down fall. none of these fish was under 15 pound and the best was an easy 30 pound. anybody with any ideas on how to land fish in these conditions please let me know. bait was sandeels, frozen mackrel, sardines(big ones). best bait for the conger was the heads from the mackrel and the fresh sardines.

Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:09 am

I use a landing net about 3 feet across. Any bigger and it wouldn't fit in the car. 25lb congers have been brought up in it in strong tides. Sounds like you were in ballyreen south mark which would be ideal for a drop net.

Donagh

Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:02 pm

fished this spot again last night. had a 9 lb huss on my first cast then a couple of dogies. had to back up early when the wind picked up, gets very nasty very fast when it blows.