The Coombe, Wexford

Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:10 pm

A friend has a mobile home close to Carne, so decided to bring my brother and nephew down for the night on Friday.

We arrived at the beach at low tide to find a truely massive surf and huge banks of floating weed. I was sure this would make fishing for the nephew impossible, he is a complete novice and his casts were only landing 10 yards out due to the strength of the wind. Conditions were so bad that after 10 minutes I was going to suggest that we head off somewhere else in search of his first ever fish.....but I had not counted on beginners luck!

"Dad, this feels heavy!". 30 seconds later and a near 4lb bass was flopping around on the beach.

This was swiftly followed by another 2 bass for the brother (another total novice), both in the 3lb range, plus a bonus flounder. The nephew also weighed in with a dogfish ("a baby shark!", which he seemed more excited with than the bass). By this stage conditions were unfishable so we packed up and left.

And me? The man who spends a small fortune on tackle and bait? Not even a nibble!

Still it was worth it just to see the smile on the kids face - I have the feeling he's just caught the fishing bug! Mission Accomplished!

Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:45 pm

fishing can be a funny thing Steve!? i don't know anymore if it's a good thing when someone gets the fishing bug! u should see some of my friends!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:59 am

Hope you don't me me Mark!!

Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:21 pm

no not you Ian! i told you before your not one of my mates!!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:36 pm

Now you really are walking back!! Dig your own bait next time!!!