Split Rock 1-4pm

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Split Rock 1-4pm

Postby Jon Moloney » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:59 pm

Bait: Rag / Makerel

Fished the left side of the rock,there was a serious current and all casts drifted right instantly and snagged on the front of the rock. Fished close in for a while after. Couldn't get to the other side cause I had way to much gear with me. Top tip: travel light to this spot it is extremely dangerous and do not go it alone, one slip and your history. I've learnt my lesson and now have the sore legs to prove it.

Oh, and I blanked, even less of a reason to risk your life.

J
Jon Moloney

Postby IDPearl » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:21 pm

Jon,

I know it's too late now, but I have found that the right hand side of the split offers more choice of fishing. It is also a little sheltered from the drift, but at least if you cast out to sea, the drift will take you away from the rocks. There is some sort of reef straight out in front, but to get over it is a good 100+ yard cast. I do think you are a bit nuts for going there this morning though. After all that rain last night and early this morning, the rocks must have been pretty slippy! Hope your wounds heal ok!!

You are right about the gear though. Pack what you can into a back pack and your life will be easier. I usually crawl down the last slope to the base on my bum. I carry a sports bag usually which I can sling over my shoulder when rock hopping. I normally fish the rocks, but with the weather forcast for today, went to the beach - then looked longingly toward the rocks of the Bailey on the other side of the bay. Happy with my flounder :D
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

cheers

Postby Jon Moloney » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:41 pm

Thanks Ian,
I had thought the right side looked more promising but after lugging a heavy takle bag, a cool bag and my rod holdall with not just one but three bloody rods and a tripod in it (I know, total overkill..) down (mostly on my arse) what was the scariest descent I have ever made, I was shaking and could not contemplate climbing the rock to the right side.

Next time it will be a backpack and climbing gear :lol: .. bit only if I can get someone to go down with me.

Thanks for the tips, and well done on the flounder, were you down towards the Sutton end ?

J
Jon Moloney

Postby steve l » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:41 pm

tried a little further down at balscadden.using rag and peeler.nothing but a pout and a few starfish :?:
steve l

Postby IDPearl » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:47 pm

Jon,

We were right over on the Bull Wall side. The Suttonside did look more promising as there was a bit more surf there, but we had set our stall already. It is a bit of a race back up though to avoid the incoming tide. Greystones tomorrow!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports