Northside blues

Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:13 pm

Hello folks,
Im new to this website but have been shore angling for years. I just wondered if anyone could give me a few hints to any decent marks around the northside of dublin, as i always seem to have to travel half the country to find anywhere worth wetting a line. It would be nice to find somewhere i could go locally for a few hours after work in the evening. I know its impossible to guarantee a fish producing mark but somewhere somebody knows to have produced a ray or bullhuss or anything that will fight back would be ieal. Any input would be greatfully appreciated

Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:42 pm

Are you anywhere near Howth?

Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:54 pm

Hows it going IDPearl. Im in Glasnevin, about 20 mins in the car

Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:05 pm

Now there's a funny thing. I have another fishing buddy lives there - not far from the Auto Bahn pub. Check out the shore marks section in http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org Depending on what fish you're after, you have a nice selection of marks Northside. Pollock, Mackerel, Wrasse etc on the rocky marks around Howth and the city side of the Bailey Lighthouse. Flatties, Mullet, Sea Trout and Bass on the sand marks such as Dollymount. I guess you've seen the posts on Ray and Smoothies in Howth.

Ian

northside

Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:09 pm

Hi Sean

Read the posts on the shore angling forum about howth and I think it will give you some idea of what is available, and the threads on the Sutton side...

HTH

Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:15 pm

Thanks lads

Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:56 am

how are u. while i may not be the best angler in the world i should be able to see u right in relation to these marks. i will send u a private message? it's just a bit late! on a general note u should really be turning your efforts to seeking the large bass that are caught from these venues at this time of year.

Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:26 pm

m.b3 why don't you post up the info on the thread instead of pm's as I am sure there are many other beginners on the northside wondering the same thing and it would save them having to ask again.

Seaniebo,
Regarding fishing around Howth it seems that the more inaccessable the place is the better the fishing. Top marks around Howth include Split Rock, Web's Castle rock(great codling mark) and Red Rock for bass. Lion's Head will always produce a few fish as will the left side of the Baily. If you are looking for something different try Glennaveena Beach as it produces Ray and smoothies. Don't forget Ballscadden, it's great for battering the whiting in winter! This is only a small percentage of the marks in Howth. I would recomend starting off at somewhere like High rocks Ballscadden as it is relatively easy to get to and will get you used to the rocks and should produce a fish or two as the winter species arrive back.

Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:38 pm

thanks again for the help everyone