Help ! Ballygannon - Greystones

Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:09 pm

Could somebody please tell me were Ballygannon is in Greystones & how to get there?

Ballygannon, Greystones

Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:36 pm

Coming into Greystones from Kilcoole direction you will pass a new housing estate on your right hand side, after this and before the railway track there's another right hand turn which brings you towards a Golf driving range which is on your left hand side. Park at the end of the driving range close to the small river. You will see a path which runs along between the river and the driving range, follow this towards the railway track. When you cross the tracks you will see the end of the beach on your left and the start of some rocks on your right. The rocks are the begining of the stretch known as Ballygannon (or the "Gannons"), this stretches all the way towards the start of Kilcoole beach (a mile or two). The further you go the better the fishing, until you come to the end of the rocks. Be careful when fishing here as the rocks are large and you can damage yourself climbing up and down to get at the fish. It is very snaggy ground and plenty of weights and heavy mainline is a must.
Mussel is one of the top baits along this stretch.
Damien

Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:57 pm

dont bothe fishing here unless you can hit 150yds because if you cant you'll be fishing into rough ground and you wont get back out.

Ballygannon

Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:38 pm

No probs. What particular species are to be expected here, best baits etc?

Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:43 pm

I would have said the opposite, no need to cast far, all the fish are in fairly close (in the shitty ground), as I said use heavy mainline 30lbs is fine, bait needed is Mussel, Crab, Mackeral, Rag etc. Species include Coalfish, 3 bearded Rockling, Codling, Pollack, Whiting and if your luckly the odd Tope is known to make an appearance along the shore at times.
No Pain no Gain, from experience I have found that all the rough spots are where the fish are, be expected to loose some gear and dont be afraid to try in close.
Damien

Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:18 pm

the last bloke is correct to a degree but if you hit the 120 -150 mark your over mixed ground which has all the previous species plus the chance of plaice , flounder and hounds and tackle losses are minimal.

Ballygannon

Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:08 pm

Have just returned from a trip out of Greystones aboard "Kingfisher" (Thur 02/09/04), I suppose this should really go under Boat Reports but I just thought I'd fill you in on part of the trip. After spending a few hours at anchor fishing for Tope off Greystones we decided to shoot over to do a drift or two along by the "Gannons". I came in close (about 75-100yds off shore),there was plenty of fish showing on the finder and we managed to boat a few Pollack and Mackeral before we headed for home. The point I am trying to make is that there are fish close to shore and there's no need to have to cast far to get to these. Between the dry river bed and the green box is where most fish were showing on the finder. O.K. it's rough ground but hey that's what it's all about.
Damien

Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:20 pm

Pulley rigs with rotten bottoms and lead lifters are great inventions.