have your shockleaders ready.

Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:42 pm

keep a few spare shockleaders in your rig wallet, or a small 'hook' wallet. have them the right lenght with the link tied to them. saves a lot of time messing around with spools of line on the beach/ rocks.

spools and shockleaders

Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:27 pm

Hi Mb3

I couldn't agree more but if you are fishing in colder weather, espeically in rain and wind, try bringing some spare spools (for FS reels) already loaded with line and with the shockleader attached. I always buy spare spools for this purpose with FS reels (over and above the ones that (may) come with the reel). You can use different spools to vary the main line strength or length of the shockleader (use as a rubbing leader on very weedy or rocky marks)...

Spare pre-loaded spools avoids trying to tie fiddly but important knots with cold and/or wet hands.. and its a damned nightmare in the wind at night!

For multipliers, keep the old multi reels in the bag with the spool full and the shockleader attached and simply change the entire reel. Learned this off a competition angler but its a handy exercise out of competition too...

HTH...

Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:56 pm

sounds good Kieran- the first thing that sprung to mind after reading your suggestions is that bloody bimni twist knot! hard enough to get right in the comfort of your own home (maybe it's just me?)! spare reels/ spools would eliminate having to tie this at the beach.

i gave up on this knot because i knew i wouldn't tie it on the beach. it is also a good thing to have the line break at the shockleader knot and knot close to the real. prepared leaders mean you can have different lenghts labelled in the rig wallet for different fishing situations such as you mention.