Extra long shock leader

Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:43 pm

Hi

I was fishing a mark recently that have about a twenty metre fringe of heavy seaweed growth that was continually offering refuge to fish as we brought them in - they would dive in under the weed, especially the rays and hang in there for dear life. Right difficulty spot to winkle them out of... anyhow Peter says to me... "hmnn, next time I come down here I'll have an extra long shock leader on the reel, so that if I have to haul hard in, at least I'll be pulling on 60 lb rather than 15 lb main line". I'm sure you have all seen this before but it was a new use for shockleader for me and it makes a hell of a lot of sense, especially if you don't have to cast very far to contact the fish. It could equally apply on rocky marks.

FWIW...

Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:23 pm

I seen this done in rock marks around the clare coast some people call it a rubbing leader it protects the main line from getting frayed from the rocks .

Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:15 pm

Shock leader wheen you're casting, becoming a rubbing leader when you're reeling in! :D

Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:27 pm

Hi yez all

I've used rubbing leaders fishing for tope from the shore, and a bimini twist knot too (lord give me patience tying the damn things) but I just thought this was a neat trick for a shallow weedy location - it would never have occurred to me - must be the old age and dotage catching up with me! :lol: