Homemade Uptide Weights

Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:42 pm

Use some garden wire and some electrical tape to convert normal plain weights into customised soft fixed wire uptide leads, perfect for uptiding or holding bottom in strong swells from the shore.

Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:46 pm

For uptiding weights I collect round beach stones, drill them through a flaw point and thread some low b.s. line as a rotten link.

Peter

Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:22 pm

This is just to make you aware, and not that I have a problem with it. But, the removal of stones/pebbles/sand from Irish beaches/foreshore is against the law.
Recently, its being enforced moreso than before with people on a "Gardening buzz" after watching Ground Force or the like.

Weights / Stones

Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:10 pm

Wes - thanks for pointing out the legalities. Whilst I was ignorant of that point, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

My opinion is that it is far less eco-friendly to throw lead weights and spark plugs ( garden wire and electrical tape too for that matter ) into the ocean than to throw stones back from whence they came originally. I would remind folks that my stones are on rotten links.

Yes, Wes, you are right to point out that law is probably aimed at those who wish to use large sea stones for landscaoe projects.

Peter.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:06 pm

Rotten bottom links and beach stones would be fine for downtide fishing, but for uptiding, where casting is required, obviously any weak link is dangerous. In any event, grip wires of some type are necessary for uptiding to be done successfully