lure fishing tip....

Mon May 03, 2004 11:09 pm

i am no expert on lurefishing in the sea but have taken a few fish over the years this way. one thing i noticed, particularly about bass, was that they were very active at first light and again just before darkness. drawing my freshwater flyfishing experiences i have always found dark to black coloured flies fished best at these times- providing the best silhuette/ contrast to the night sky. i tried to purchase some black plugs and found nowhere that sold them!? decided to completely colour in my old battered plugs with a black permanent marker. hey presto! i have not tried them yet, but will be doing so this season. i will let you all know how i get on. if you doubt this idea it is worth bearing in mind that bass/ pollack fly fishermen use darker flies at night/ early morning. cheers.

Flying c's

Tue May 04, 2004 7:23 pm

Try the black Flying C's. I got a few at the angling show. Great for Pollack and Bass.

Tue May 04, 2004 7:45 pm

ahh! i never thought of them! although i do like using plugs, something more fishy about them- but i will give these a go. black is in this season!

Black is the new black...

Tue May 04, 2004 11:31 pm

I have a black flying C, tried for pollack with it to no avail; never thought of bass. Harris did a Mean Tropicana that was black, with a sort of white skeleton pattern, but painting old lures is easier! I've plugged for bass at dawn or more usually dusk (during the summer dawn is far too early!) with success, but with standard plugs. Best fish though, was on a sunny Sunday afternoon...........

Re: Black is the new black...

Wed May 05, 2004 8:52 am

Neil wrote:I have a black flying C, tried for pollack with it to no avail; never thought of bass........

I have used a black fying C off the new marina in Wexford- I have caught Bass, Pollack, Coalfish and Cod with them.