gripping the spool of a multiplier....

Mon May 03, 2004 5:43 pm

i have tried numerous ways to get a firm grip on a multiplier over the last few years. i tried using everything from thumbs cut for washing up gloves, etc. to strips from bicycle tubes. i was never fully happy with any of them. the best of the lot was a strip of bike tubing taped to the rod just under where the reel sat. this could then be placed over the spool with your thumb behind it. the grip was great but the problem was that in foul weather the wind could (and did) blow the strip back up onto the reel spool mid cast- not good. the answer to this is to cut a one inch section of tubing (or whatever suits you) from the tyre tubing and slide it over the bend of your thumb. it is trial and error- different diameter for different size thumbs! you will never have to worry about spool grip again. cheers.
Last edited by m.b3 on Tue May 04, 2004 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 03, 2004 8:24 pm

forgot to mention that you can slide one of these cut sections of tyre tubing onto your fishing rod. either put it on the wider end of the top half of your rod or slide one or two down onto the reducer ( if your rod has one), depending on where they fit. they can be taken off before a session and put back afterwards. this means you will always have one with you when you go fishing and not ten at home in the shed!