Salting baits?

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Salting baits?

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:50 pm

I must make room in the freezer so thinking of filleting a few mackerel and just storing the fillets.

I am tempted for try salting a few.

Do ye think it will work if I place the fillets in the salt bucket while there still frozen or do you have to do it with fresh fillets?
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Re: Salting baits?

Postby johnwest » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:53 am

I think it would work better with fresh fillets, not sure that the salt could absorb from frozen water. In the past I have filleted fresh mackerel, dusted generously with salt but not "buried" them, wrapped in clingfilm and then frozen them. It seemed to toughen the fillets up a bit.
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Re: Salting baits?

Postby Deleted User 3488 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:19 am

If you salt the fillets for an hour or two before you freeze it will draw a lot of excess moisture from the fish which in theory should leave you with firm baits after they thaw.
Never tried it myself but your suggestion is worth a try, will try it myself when I get a few fresh maks. I would give the fillets a quick rinse to remove any remaining salt before freezing and pat them dry to prevent them welding to each other in the freezer.
Deleted User 3488

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers