Braid to monofilament knots.

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Braid to monofilament knots.

Postby bigbadtom » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:32 am

Right lads this question has probably been asked a thousand times before but if so then I missed it. So what's the best knot to use for joining braid to monofilament for shock leaders and backing on the reel.
Ya should a been here last week.
bigbadtom
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 22 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Braid to monofilament knots.

Postby shortcircuit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:59 am

OK, prepare for a thousand answers. The "best" might not necessarily be the easiest or most practical to tie.

If you are only looking for a leader for lure fishing/ spinning and the knot will not have to pass through the guides during the cast, the Improved/Modified Albright knot is quick and easy to tie and plenty strong.

If you are tying a long leader for beach casting, you will need a different knot. If you have the luxury of tying indoors, the FG knot is the slimmest and strongest braid to mono/flouro knot I have used:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8
If you can take over an entire kitchen table, this method is easier:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk

As you can see, this knot is complicated, but it is worth it in terms of strength and slimness. It passes through the guides seamlessly. I have pulled out of incredible snags with this knot when tied with 20 lb braid and 20 lb flouro. The problem with the Modified Albright (or another one, the Yucutan for example) is that the tag end of leader is pointing back towards the end of the leader. This means the tag end catches on the rod rings on the way out.

Another easy one that will work well but might not be as strong as the above is the one that I use to join Mono Mainline to a shockleader. You tie an overhand knot in the leader but don't tighten. Pass the mainline through the knot and then close up the overhand knot, but don't tighten the hell out of it. With the tag of the mainline, tie a Grinner knot that butts up against the overhand knot in the leader. For braid the Grinner knot would want to have a load of turns, maybe 10 or 12. Tighten the whole thing up and away you go. It's not the most elegant knot in the world but it would do the trick if you are in a windy spot and you need your knot to pass through the guides while you are casting.

Edit: Good demo of the last knot I spoke about at 4:10 in this video which was posted recently in a casting thread:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9v6QqT5FPPE

For this message the author shortcircuit has received thanks: 3
chuckaroo (Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:26 pm), EddieK (Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:16 pm), jonney (Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:13 pm)
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby bigbadtom » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Thanks for this Shortcircuit. Very helpful video.
bigbadtom
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby pajo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:30 pm

Thanks - good question and good answer!

I use a 3-4 metre mono leader on top of my braid for boat fishing. It provides a bit of a cushion to the braid and makes it easier to lift fish out of the water. Also because I'm not casting I can use a lighter breaking strain on the leader - that way if I lose a rig it usually breaks at the rig or on the leader, rarely on the leader knot and hardly ever on the braid. I use the improved Albright as you suggested and the uni-to-uni knot. They are both quite strong but the tag frequently gets caught in the rings either on the way out (Albright) or on the way in (uni-to-uni).

That FG knot and that last knot look like they are worth a shot.

Thanks,
Pajo
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby JimC » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:00 pm

All boat fishing for me.... That said my lure fishing can just be the same as shore only the opposite way round. I don't use a leader per se but a tippet. A short length of flouro that doesn't come through the eyes. I use the Yucatan knot. It is simple to tie on a moving boat and works well for me.
If I was casting the leader through eyes I think I'd like the FG.

Here's all 11 seconds of video!: https://youtu.be/VbgVO0sWhP8
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby bigbadtom » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:08 pm

Cheers for these Pajo and JimC.
bigbadtom
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Inishowenrocker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:57 pm

Bimni twist good knot for thinner lines
Inishowenrocker
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Davidc » Fri May 08, 2020 4:50 am

Thanks lads.
Davidc
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby SiDtheFish » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:35 pm

Just been out to dial in some multiplier bearings. That FG knot is wicked, especially with a UV glue smoothing. Doesn't even rattle in the rings! Ground breaking stuff!
SiDtheFish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers