Switch to full style
Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!
Post a reply

Avoiding whiting

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:51 pm

I've been fishing East Coast by boat using rag and so far only been getting small whiting. Getting dogs using mackerel any tips on avoiding the whiting?

Re: Avoiding whiting

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:15 pm

There's a rig favored in the north of England which you might be interested in... it has a small hook size 2 snelled onto a much bigger hook, say a 3/0 or 4/0. The small hook is baited and cast out, to catch a whiting, and you just leave it out there and wait...

It's very hard to target bigger species or bigger specimens beyond using a larger hook and varying the baits, but if there are shoals of small whiting around, there's not a lot you can do... I have the same issue with small coalfish here. Next three months, they carpet the place. Always wondered what might be out beyond them, and have used a few cut as flappers on a 6/0 but only got one conger...

Hope this hepls...

Re: Avoiding whiting

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:17 am

kieran wrote:There's a rig favored in the north of England which you might be interested in... it has a small hook size 2 snelled onto a much bigger hook, say a 3/0 or 4/0. The small hook is baited and cast out, to catch a whiting, and you just leave it out there and wait...

It's very hard to target bigger species or bigger specimens beyond using a larger hook and varying the baits, but if there are shoals of small whiting around, there's not a lot you can do... I have the same issue with small coalfish here. Next three months, they carpet the place. Always wondered what might be out beyond them, and have used a few cut as flappers on a 6/0 but only got one conger...

Hope this hepls...

I agree and use this method effectively alot, the best way to avoid whiting is to use one as bait! It's a genius method too..
Post a reply