Avoiding whiting

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Avoiding whiting

Postby daveville30 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:51 pm

I've been fishing East Coast by boat using rag and so far only been getting small whiting. Getting dogs using mackerel any tips on avoiding the whiting?
daveville30
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Avoiding whiting

Postby kieran » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:15 pm

There's a rig favored in the north of England which you might be interested in... it has a small hook size 2 snelled onto a much bigger hook, say a 3/0 or 4/0. The small hook is baited and cast out, to catch a whiting, and you just leave it out there and wait...

It's very hard to target bigger species or bigger specimens beyond using a larger hook and varying the baits, but if there are shoals of small whiting around, there's not a lot you can do... I have the same issue with small coalfish here. Next three months, they carpet the place. Always wondered what might be out beyond them, and have used a few cut as flappers on a 6/0 but only got one conger...

Hope this hepls...

For this message the author kieran has received thanks: 2
family guy (Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:03 pm), Woulfec (Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:49 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Avoiding whiting

Postby Phortlairge » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:17 am

kieran wrote:There's a rig favored in the north of England which you might be interested in... it has a small hook size 2 snelled onto a much bigger hook, say a 3/0 or 4/0. The small hook is baited and cast out, to catch a whiting, and you just leave it out there and wait...

It's very hard to target bigger species or bigger specimens beyond using a larger hook and varying the baits, but if there are shoals of small whiting around, there's not a lot you can do... I have the same issue with small coalfish here. Next three months, they carpet the place. Always wondered what might be out beyond them, and have used a few cut as flappers on a 6/0 but only got one conger...

Hope this hepls...

I agree and use this method effectively alot, the best way to avoid whiting is to use one as bait! It's a genius method too..
Phortlairge
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers