Switch to full style
Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!
Post a reply

Casting Tip!

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:31 am

I recently was at a polymer training course with work, it turned out the Prof. giving the course was a keen fisherman. He divulged a tip that he said he uses for long range casting, it seems plausible but I'm on the fence. Apparently he coats the eyes of the rod of in teflon (what non stick pans are coated in) to reduce friction between line and rod thus increasing cast distance. He said it added 60 yards to his cast, which i definitely dont believe but i reckon it could possibly add some distance. Has anyone ever tried it??

Re: Casting Tip!

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:03 pm

at most you might gain a yard or two not something you will notice in a fishing situation. The ceramic thats used to make guides like zirconium aluminium oxide and alconite are all slick enough for fishing situations

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:31 am

Yeah, I have heard of casters spraying their guides just before a comps, not tried it myself but would imagine its worth a few yards..

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:51 pm

There has to be some element of truth in what the speaker said, fair enough it might not add a 60 yards to a cast but as the man from Tesco says . . . Every little helps!!

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:58 pm

WD-40 or any other light oil is as good
mickser

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:07 am

i'd be a bit dubious about that adding much distance to be honest. as long as the line/eyes are clean and dont have sand/grit etc in them there's really no significant friction there. might give it a a lash with some fly floatant i have in the fishing box or some vaseline. couldn't hurt to chance it and see.
Post a reply