Switch to full style
Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!
Post a reply

Shark and Ray handling tips

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:22 am

This is from Australia but the basics apply here too. I think everyone should take note.
Attachments
Shark-Ray-handling-guide-Dec-2014.pdf
(4.88 MiB) Downloaded 586 times

Re: Shark and Ray handling tips

Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:43 pm

one other thing everybody should do, avoid getting very sharp metal hooks and
ramming them into fishes heads :-)

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:19 pm

and always saport body of fish when handing

Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Could have used this a few weeks back after a surprise stringray was on the line. Was only after some flounder so he was right back in after cutting the trace, didn’t bring him out of the surf

Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:02 pm

For tope and large ray (and bass) from the shore, I never bring them ashore. Always use circle hooks and measure fish in the surf with release via bolt croppers on hook bend to leave nothing but a small hook hole in the scissors. Keep high-carbon croppers in a very oily rag (rinse with reels after a session and spray with that oil when dry), or you'll have a bag of red dust next time you go to use them! I reckon that 90%+ of injury caused to fish by anglers is all the faffing about and mishandling/dropping etc to get 'the photo'. Either leave out the photos or get a head camera to use in the surf whilst measuring

Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:49 pm

Good post
Post a reply