Ballen Wrasse bait

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Does anybody know if frozen mussels are a good bait for ballen wrasse? I was thinking they would be easy to find and store

Re: Ballen Wrasse bait

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:04 pm

I have tried the same , not with great success to be honest , fresh ones work far better but need plenty of elastic to keep them on , I do however use a lot of frozen mussels chopped up with limpits as a ground bait for wrasse , a small ball every now and again or after each fish works a treat and I have found it feeds off the smaller wrasse quicker and after a while the bigger fish are left feeding . That's just what works for me , sure plenty of other guys have other ways of doing it . If you want to catch lots of wrasse use worms , if you want to catch big wrasse use whole hard back crab between the size of a one and two euro coin . A lot of guys having great wrasse fishing on rubber lures , I haven't quite cracked that on yet but a big wrasse by any method on light gear is lots of fun .

Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Best FREE wrasse bait is garden worms.... If your going to buy bait, ragworm are best....

Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:12 pm

I have found small hardback crabs but lately I have caught them on soft plastic's and limpet's are also good

Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Ive heard garden snails, but that might only be for French wrasse :shock:

Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:23 am

boiled shrimp,you should be able to catch a few with a net or might be able to buy some in a local fishmoner,great bait for them,preferbly float-fished

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:23 pm

+1 for garden worms lug and rag or crab for the bigger ones in that order :D

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:08 pm

LIMPET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:46 pm

Ye can't go wrong with big Ragworm or crab if there is wrasse around they,'ll take either

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:54 pm

ragworm or crab are best baits for them