Re: wd-40

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:32 pm

fisherman59 wrote:heres another can of worms;can it be used in an ifsa comp

NO! It would be classed as a bait additive!

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Does anyone know what it tastes like? Lol

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:27 pm

whats the definition of a bait additive i mean if i spread jam on my bait and it catches me fish is it classed as a bait additive

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:51 am

It is made from Fish Oil !
It works extremely well in slack conditions on Fish baits, Dogs , Tope , Ray etc
It can not be used in IFSA Comps

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:40 am

It's not made from fish oil...

It's an urban myth....

Makes no difference whatsoever...

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:28 pm

Iv heard of people here in galway that have drilled a small hole on the back of Rapala,s and sprayed the WD 40 into it and apperantly they claim to have caught fish.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:29 pm

mackfish wrote:It's not made from fish oil...

It's an urban myth....

Makes no difference whatsoever...

Erroneous!

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:01 am

ok here goes,,,,
firstly I have no idea what it is made of. you can find sources on line that states as a fact that it is made from fish oil and just as many sources that says that it isn't. well that's the interweb for you :roll: :roll: .
what I can say from extensive use of it is that it WILL increase you catch rate, both on the boat and from the shore.
a few years back we spent an entire summer testing this out on fish baits while fishing for rays, huss, tope and conger.
from the shore there was 4 of us fishing 2 rods each. one with wd-40 added and one without. without question the mackerel sprayed with wd-40 easily out fished the natural baits 3 to 1.
and that included when we switched the rods over on the tripod so both baits were in the same area at different points in the session. this was the case session after session.
on the boat we tried it too using the same rigs as the lads around us. the first few times the lads were a bit sceptical and dismissive of it, but as the day went on we were constantly catching more rays than the lads around us. after a few fruitless drops by guys around us the can was soon being passed around the boat and rays, dogs and huss were soon coming up on all lines. this was repeated on numerous trips with different clubs around ports in Ireland.
I don't claim to know why it works, what the environmental implications are and what it might do to the fish who snaffle a wd-40 laced bait.
I just know from experience that it DOES in fact work as a bait additive.
just mu 2 cents lads :)

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:53 pm

Iv used it and found it better then peeler oil

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Have 2 cans on the boat .. One for fish one for engines.... It does increase catch rate when fish aren't biting.

If u think of it as water displacing, normal bait smell gets dispersed by water, wd40 gives a super long sluckstream leading fish straight to your bait/lure.