wd-40

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:03 pm

I've heard that wd40 can enhance a bait...it sounds like a load of crap to me,but having never tried this i can't really say. what are your opinions and has anyone tried this sucessfully?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: wd-40

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:26 pm

heard that myself but i would not use it good for rod rings and spray on a cloth and wipe down ur reels when u rinse them under a tap after fishing hope this helps,grumpy angler 8)

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:32 pm

I've only seen it used once. Fresh whiting fillet lathered in WD40 resulted in a small thornie at distance (in Donegal). It would definitely get a good scent trail going.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:32 pm

yeah bass man,thats what i use it for too. but it is made out of fish oil :o

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:34 pm

great stuff sweetwrasse...maybe there's something to this after all

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:52 pm

I have tried it on ragworm it drives dogfish wild I.never caught anythin else usin it

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:00 pm

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:17 pm

I have used it a couple of times and i have got fish on it. I think myself that its only worth using on big baits.... Its always handy to have in the box anyway incase a reel or anything gets stiff

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:37 pm

red wrote:Image

a can of worms for sure :)

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Wd40 acts as a solvent on oil and grease so the theory is that it will help the juices and oils in the bait flow more easily
Last edited by ShaneH on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:35 pm

As it's made from fish oil maybe the fish can smell something we can't....

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:54 am

It is not made from fish oil and does not increase catches just more pollution.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:21 am

Whilst doing my motor mechanics course I was told its very similar to duck oil..
Apparently the WD-40 recipe is secret according to Wiki.?

Anyway, Ill give its a go one day.... I think its one of the best smells out there if sprayed on something warm... like an engine... Mmmmm

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:33 pm

Defo not made with fish oil and not recommended for fishing. http://wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Well there you go,straight from the horses mouth..'does not contain fish oil'!. i won't be using it on my bait after all.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:44 pm

Always though it was fish oil till I looked heard people saying it is great for pike. Never tried it my self thought.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:29 am

Grumpy Angler wrote:Well there you go,straight from the horses mouth..'does not contain fish oil'!. i won't be using it on my bait after all.

Just for the craic, why not give it a go and just see what happens? Many people think it works, so there might just be something in it - not fish oil, but some unknown ingredient that arouses the fish's curiousity. We dont always have to know exactly why and how something works - very few of us understand colour TV, but we all manage to catch our favourite programmes with it.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:35 am

I'll be out tomorrow-i'll give it a shot and let yez know what happens...

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:05 pm

JohnS wrote:It is not made from fish oil and does not increase catches just more pollution.

Your writing that as if its fact, that it doesnt contain fish oil, do you have some inside knowledge?

Water Displacement version 40, to the best of my knowledge, and this may be wrong, but........

was developed by an American company in the early 50's around San Diego. I used to live next to a guy, who has worked for Du-pont all his life, whilst working for them he spent several years in the states, as a keen fisherman, he reckoned that his American colleagues would spray their wooden or metal lures with WD-40 before and during their sessions, as they 'knew' it was made from fish oil, and helped to increase their catch rate. Ralph is in his late 70's now and doesnt do much fishing anymore, but swore blind that when fishing for sea trout of the isle of doagh, if he forgot his wd-40, he drive back up the road to get it!

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:08 pm

heres another can of worms;can it be used in an ifsa comp