Surf fishing

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:35 pm

Can anyone give any tips on surf fishing?? I have never properly tried it and I was wondering what gear is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Surf fishing

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:59 pm

depends on species sought, but as a simple general rule - 2 or 3 hook flapper , lug/rag/mack/sandeel - do not cast too far, fish normally in the 30-40yd range.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:26 pm

spindlefist wrote:depends on species sought, but as a simple general rule - 2 or 3 hook flapper , lug/rag/mack/sandeel - do not cast too far, fish normally in the 30-40yd range.

What size rod should I be using and do I need thigh waders???

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:49 pm

breamers boy wrote:
spindlefist wrote:depends on species sought, but as a simple general rule - 2 or 3 hook flapper , lug/rag/mack/sandeel - do not cast too far, fish normally in the 30-40yd range.

What size rod should I be using and do I need thigh waders???

Waders do help o try out varying distances but they are not essential especially at night as you can just cast straight from the shore as usually bass and flatties are found close to shore especially in darkness I use a light bass rod for this that's about eleven foot and casts two to four ounces of lead

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:36 pm

Surf fishing is usually for bass when using bait ..... i wouldnt say you need waders unless you are on a shallow beach like woodstown

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:49 pm

lad123 wrote:Surf fishing is usually for Bass when using bait ..... i wouldnt say you need waders unless you are on a shallow beach like woodstown

Well the beach I was thinking about is Tramore strand but it just looked like you would need waders

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:59 pm

I love this type of fishing but don't do enough of it given that I live on the east coast. A light 11'6" bass rod, a pair of waders, plain leads and a short lob in or around the 3rd breaker as the saying goes. Standing knee deep, holding the rod and waiting for bites as the waves continually roll in towards you. A lot of the best surf fishing beaches are surrounded with spectacular landscapes too. Just thinking about it makes me want to book a trip to Kerry.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:34 pm

rod ,reel ,tripod ,bucket to hang under it with bait a few rigs,few sinkers and bait, waders yes always as you will often find you need to cast on the far side of the third breaker and this could be anywhere from 50 to 150 yards from dry sand :lol: fish move alot on surf beaches and so will you so travel light :wink:
when it comes to rods a 15 foot rod can be invaluable if its weedy in close ,if not any old rod will do :lol:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:58 pm

If your on a budget you could get away with not using waders

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:19 am

tip for surf fishing really is that you can never really fish to close in my opinion