Float Fishing On The Beach

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:07 am

As it says float fishing from the beach, I have done it and have had some success but what bait would you find best crab, lug, rag . I would be using a light spinning rod under a cigar float and would be wading out at low water.If anyone has tried this it would be great to hear what you think.

Re: Float Fishing On The Beach

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:40 am

A small sliver of mack for gars and macks

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:34 am

ragworm always works well for me ..... ivee got wrasse whiting pollock

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:54 am

Tried it a couple of times but kept landing on the beach within a few minutes.
Coalies would be a good target this time of year as they feed mid water.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:30 am

I think when the water is flat would be the best time to try this

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:21 am

Seen guys hammer fish this way then on other days a complete disaster

Kind regards

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:51 am

Always enjoy float fishing. My experience:
1. Cigar float for off the rocks, big bubble float on the beach in shallow water.
2. Half fill the bubble for casting weight, with 3ft of line to the hook, fished free-line style (unweighted).
3. Baits need a bit of action in them so no lumps of crab etc. Worms, sandeels, long thin mack strips, even artificial worms.
4. Beach float fishing best in summer when the water is clear.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Ray,

I'd agree with Hugo. Go with a bubble float. On the beaches we fish you'll be doing this mainly in summer and in settled enough weather. Use maddies. Your main target will be golden greys and thick lips, but you'll also pick up flatties and bass. Put a bit of movement into your gear.

Pat

Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks Men 8)

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:41 pm

Also look at getting a few bombarda floats if hoping to target sea trout and bass

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:39 am

I had no idea you would be able to float fish from the beach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:15 pm

Bubble float, light spinning rod and sandeel for bass, works in esturarys, let the float trott with the current, strips of squid and mac work aswell, I saw a couple of anglers doing this last year and the results for them were excellent, i tried this myself with little sucess, low tide to 2 hours before high seems the best time for this technique and again from the swell to the tide going out.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:30 pm

What would be the biggest bubble float to use...I have a few golf ballish sized ones...would they be ok or can you get bigger??..it's more for visibility reasons but I suppose the bigger you go, the heavier you get!..

Would be really interested in giving this a go later in the summer..

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:45 pm

mackfish wrote:What would be the biggest bubble float to use...I have a few golf ballish sized ones...would they be ok or can you get bigger??..it's more for visibility reasons but I suppose the bigger you go, the heavier you get!..

Would be really interested in giving this a go later in the summer..

I bought some a few weeks ago golf ball size and a little bigger, orange, green and yellow just to be on the safe side :)

Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:29 am

Golf ball size is fine most of the time. If you need more distance - as when fishing across an inlet to the other side - there's the old trick of pumping an empty Jif lemon full of builder's mastic and using that as a float. You can lash a swivel round the neck to take the line, or stick a bit of polythene tube thru it before you fill it, as in a conventional float. The tubes out of empty spray bottles (eg Febreze) are what I use.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:44 pm

Hugo wrote:Golf ball size is fine most of the time. If you need more distance - as when fishing across an inlet to the other side - there's the old trick of pumping an empty Jif lemon full of builder's mastic and using that as a float. You can lash a swivel round the neck to take the line, or stick a bit of polythene tube thru it before you fill it, as in a conventional float. The tubes out of empty spray bottles (eg Febreze) are what I use.

Great bit of advice Hugo :)
Ive been using drilled kinder eggs as floats and baitfeeders the inner tube of a spray bottle is brilliant ive been looking for something stronger then capri sun straws.. cheers