Braid to mono/flouro leader knot- really neat

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:38 pm

Plenty of you may have seen this on Henry Gilbey's blog, or seen similar knots on your travels

http://www.henry-gilbey.com/blog/one_of ... s_ive_seen

It's an alternative to common knots like the modified Albright (which I had been using). The modified Albright is great, very strong, but is a bit bulky, which means (for me anyway) it won't pass through the guides well. This means I have to use a short leader and keep the knot outside the guides when casting.

I tied this knot for the first time last night- took me a couple of goes to get it. It is very very very neat. And extremely strong- When I wrapped both lines around either hand and pulled hard as I could I could not cause the knot to fail. Haven't cast with it yet, but I suspect it will fly through the guides.

Anyone else tried this knot?

PS the one drawback is I'd say it's impossible to tie outdoors in the wind, it is tricky to tie. To me this seems like one to tie in advance of a trip.

Re: Braid to mono/flouro leader knot- really neat

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:45 pm

I started using this knot instead of learning how to tie a PR knot with the special Bobbin. I've been using it for over a year now... cracking knot and is seemless through the guides. No pinging our bouncing like you would get with the albright or modified albright. It is best tied out of the wind for sure. I normally have 2 spools / reels with leader ready to go. If I need to tie on the fly I revert to modified albright after that. I don't normally fish overly long leaders for my bass fishing, but I like the confidence this knot brings... I have also landed a few Tope using this knot, so it's well up for the heavier stuff as well. It's not too hard to tie once you've done it a few times..

Kev