Bass and Smoothhound

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Hello, i have fished fresh water all my life but i am going to give sea angling a go this year because I live beside the sea now. I was wondering if anyone knows any good locations on the shore of Carlingford Lough/ Dundalk Bay where I could catch Bass and Smoothhound. I was going to try Templetown Beach for smoothhounds, for anyone who doesn't know it, its a sandy beach with lots of surf to churn up food. For bass I was going to try the Narrow Water stretch of Carlingford Lough Estuary because its a narrow tidal stretch of water with plenty of crevices to hold food and I have seen sea trout here. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Bass and Smoothhound

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:42 pm

you will get bass along the shores of the mouth of the Carlingford Lough but they are hard to come by
i fished a bass fly fishing competition there a few years back and there were 80 anglers fishing all day. only 6 fish were caught altogether. getting one might break your heart but they are defo there, they could prove a good challenge. dont see why there wouldnt be one or 2 knocking around the Narrow Water either.. not sure.
templetown beach looks as to have potential for smoothhound all right but im no expert. i know they work the east coast but maybe someone on here will advise you better of their migratory route and best time of year to target them

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:48 pm

If you want hounds start at dublin and work your way down the further south you go the bigger the hounds

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 pm

Are hounds not a summer fish ??

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:31 pm

May to September