Best braid to use for the sea?

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:15 pm

What's the best braid to use for the sea? Or will any old one do.

Re: Best braid to use for the sea?

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:56 pm

I personally like Berkley whiplash with about 2ft of flurocarbon leader for lure fishing. I also have another reel spooled with spiderwire invisibraid which is nice also. These are the only two I use so I can't comment on any others. I use mono on my beach reels as I fish a lot of rough ground where abrasion resistance is a big factor.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:25 pm

powerpro braid is the strongest and most abrasion resistant braid out there imho and experience.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:29 pm

Powerpro all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Powerpro for me too

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Power pro or Daiwa 8 strand, both great lines

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:42 pm

i have used Berkley whiplash 50lb for shore fishing its very good i got a 300 yard spool the good thing with braid is that if the front spool end is starting to were out just take it of and put the bad end to the spool wind on and use it a second time, i used the green whiplash with a tapered leader for beaches and normal 60lb leader when on rough ground, the good thing with wiplash now is that it comes in orange and its very good for night fishing if you have a big fish on you can play it far better as you see were the line is when you get the fish closer to shore.

you can use braid straight throw but i personally use a daiwa tapered shock leader i like to use the clear one with the orange braid they are expensive £9.99 in the north but you get 5 on a spool and i have seen me using the same one for 3 months and that was fishing twice a week every week.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Power pro ... 8strand. spooled to the lip

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks guys :)

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:02 pm

some topics:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42447&hilit=braid
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42064&p=328012&hilit=braid#p328009
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41355&hilit=braid

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:11 pm

I used to use Berkley Whiplash but got too many wind knots, changed over to Powerpro about 4 years ago and have had no problems at all.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Power pro all the way.

I'm convinced it's made by elves or goblins in a secret place it's that good.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:14 pm

I don't get windknots with the whiplash. I have spiderwire EZ braid which was awful in that regard but their invisibraid is fine. From the recommendations on here, I must get a spool of powerpro this winter when I'm filling my reels :)

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Cant get used to braid at all for beach fishing gripping the lead a knock from everything all kinds of problems .not that bad when its flat but for lures its great stuff. Spiderwire cheap and strong for me might have a look at this powerpro myself now sounds like mighty stuff

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Would the saltwater not corrode or eat away at the braid though?

Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:11 pm

No!

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Ok!

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:19 pm

I use a cheap chinese 40lb braid for my bait fishing clear to medium rough ground have never had any issue with it , $40+ for 1500m , rather nice on the reel and the pocket :)