How to fish for cod from the beach?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:28 pm

I have a beachcaster rod and a big spool reel but I'm not sure what baits,hooks setup to use etc.

Re: How to fish for cod from the beach?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:13 pm

use lug or peeler crab on size 3/4 hooks with a basic rig setup and that should do you :) piers are also good places to try :)

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:31 pm

lug, mussel, peeler crab mix them up coctail all good baits puley rigs in estuarys like waterford or youghal two hook flappers on beaches hope this helps

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:24 am

Aidan1888 wrote:I have a beachcaster rod and a big spool reel but I'm not sure what baits,hooks setup to use etc.

First of all where are you located as a lot of venues do not produce cod.

There is no sense in going to a venue with all the bait's advised if cod have never been caught there.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:27 am

i wouldnt be using size 3 or 4 hooks they are abit small for cod baits. use a loop ring or 3 hook clip with size 1 or 1/0 hooks.
try match your hook size to the size of bait you will be using

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:37 am

As Donal said, it's important to know where in the country you Will be fishing. Personally, I find crab to be the best bait down here. With that said, all of the baits above -with the addition of squid-will catch fish. I tend to use pulleys and flappers with a hook size of 1/0 to 3/0 or 4/0. Happy fishing :)

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks guys, I will be fishing in the clonakilty, west cork area? Would I cast that out with a heavy breakaway weight or would I use a float setup?

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:03 pm

A grip weight at the end of a pulley or flapper trace is probably your best bet.
I've never targeted cod down west but I'm sure other lads on here will put you right :) up this way, cobh, youghal and some of the beaches in between produce cod. I heard lads fish for them at the wall in monkstown too ;)

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:31 pm

try the beaches around clon at night with a good surf running. beaches where estuaries begin are a good bet-hope this helps.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:31 pm

Fish after dark with a bit of a surf on the beach. Crab or lug for cod. Long range casts to get you out to deeper water works well on the south coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:21 pm

sailnfish wrote:A grip weight at the end of a pulley or flapper trace is probably your best bet.
I've never targeted cod down west but I'm sure other lads on here will put you right :) up this way, cobh, youghal and some of the beaches in between produce cod. I heard lads fish for them at the wall in monkstown too ;)

Pardon my ignorance! But what's a pully or a flapper trace? Will they bite through mono line?

I think I have everything I need, Beachcaster, 8000 Reel, 15-20 pound line, size 1/0 - 2/0 aberdeen hooks, 5-6 ounce weight, lugworm, crab or mussels as bait? And fish after dark with a good surf getting a long distance cast?

Oh! And is there a season for cod or can you fish for them all year round near the shore?

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:31 pm

Goggle pulley rigs or search on you tube. Cod fishing starts in September ends in February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:38 pm

sailnfish wrote: I heard lads fish for them at the wall in monkstown too ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:47 pm

fish youghal good cod caught every tide ask how to fish when u get there locals r very friendly and helpful

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:53 pm

try a pulley-pennel...its a two hook version of the regular pulley,with both hooks fished in the one bait.it would be a 2/0 or 3/0 for me,the cod have a fairly big mouth,like a torn pocket :)
you'd be surprised how small a codling you can land with large hooks but it dont always work the other way around,a larger cod can spit out ur hooked bait quite easily...nothing worse when you feel a hefty weight fish turn sharp and then a dead line... :shock:
best of luck laad :)

Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Any beach for cod in Galway region? (north Clare - Clifden)

Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:28 pm

no cod from the shore in the region your talking about worth talking about
there maybe one or two round the 1.5lb mark stuck in the kelp - but rare

any on open beaches will be 20cm = no more

not really something you can target effectively

Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:36 pm

which is a better place for first cod? Cork or Waterford?

corbyeire wrote:no cod from the shore in the region your talking about worth talking about
there maybe one or two round the 1.5lb mark stuck in the kelp - but rare

any on open beaches will be 20cm = no more

not really something you can target effectively

Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:05 pm

antimausas wrote:which is a better place for first cod? Cork or Waterford?

Youghal - both Cork and Waterford side of bay/estuary