Any help on making a sand eel trap/ push net?.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:45 am

I have half made a large push net out of alum with a cod end net in the middle I'm hoping to use it to catch sand eel with it . But before I go any further has any one used one to get them and any advice on how it should be made. If you have any pics on one that worked it would be great to see. It's a long shot I know but but I have been digging for them 4 evenings in a roe and I can see them n the water / channel but none in the sand. Thanks.

Re: Any help on making a sand eel trap/ push net?.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:21 pm

I made one a few years ago it worked fine for catching loads of shrimps and tiny flounder but the sand eels just swam ahead of the net then turned left or right and the odd time into the net,I didn't bother with it after it seemed too much effort for too little reward,I'd say make a seine net or buy one

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:56 pm

eoghanb wrote:I made one a few years ago it worked fine for catching loads of shrimps and tiny flounder but the sand eels just swam ahead of the net then turned left or right and the odd time into the net,I didn't bother with it after it seemed too much effort for too little reward,I'd say make a seine net or buy one

Thanks eoghanb I did make one and spent a lot of time and effort at it too as you said they go each way and not into the net, nw what o do with it. :roll: .

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Maybe make a fyke net out of it and put it in a narrow channel u will get them on the ebb but I'd say the fisheries lads might not like it

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:42 pm

eoghanb wrote:Maybe make a fyke net out of it and put it in a narrow channel u will get them on the ebb but I'd say the fisheries lads might not like it

Ya they would not look to kindly on that and I'm a c&r fisherman so it would go agents my rules. I'll find a use for it yet. Bu it might take a while. :)

Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:38 pm

I was looking at them on ebay they were 60£ plush shipping?how exactley are you using the net?ideally need two people to walk out then turn in a half circle back towards the shore then un load the goods

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:24 pm

DAMIEN wrote:I was looking at them on ebay they were 60£ plush shipping?how exactley are you using the net?ideally need two people to walk out then turn in a half circle back towards the shore then un load the goods

Hi Damien, its not a net as such it's a frame with a cod end in it. I tryed with some one trying too guide the eels in but it's to wide and heavy to manoeuvre .