stove for lead making

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:03 pm

hi. im going to make my own lead weights. ive no idea which one to get. as there are lots of different stoves on the market.
i dont wont to spend a furtune on a stove. which onces do you use.

thanks

Re: stove for lead making

Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:55 pm

What I use is a dubble end mini cooker. Connected to a yellow gas bottle. Its handy I can have two pots of lead on the go and when one is melting one s ready. Also I would heat the moulds before I would start pouring lead it helps the mould to make a god finish on the lead weights. Get a good heat restanted pair of gloves. They are a must.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Have you done this before? How much do you know about it?

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:52 pm

Dont under estimate the dangers when making your own leads,things can go very wrong is a split second have a look at a post i made before viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35537&hilit=lead+making someone suggested you need gloves you will also need goggles or what i use now is a full face mask and you will also need good overalls and plenty of air circulating around you :wink:

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:22 pm

This is the stove im using at the minute. I done away with the old blow torch setup i had before. This is a serious bit of lead melting kit it can melt a couple of stone of lead in the matter of a few minutes 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:53 pm

hey john were u pick up that bita kit and the pot propper set up

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:19 pm

The pot's are cast and i have them for years wouldn't part with them either, and the new stove was a gift have it a good while now prob about 2 years, AFIK they are around 150 quid :wink:

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:13 am

hi, ive always used a gas blow torch. but want to use a stove this time. much better.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:59 am

hey john u got a link were i could buy 1 ?

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:37 pm

lowie69 wrote:hey john u got a link were i could buy 1 ?

I dont but next time i see this person i will try find out where it was bought. :wink:

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Always be careful with scrap lead ,air pockets and especially trapped water it goes boom an sprays lead everywhere

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:08 pm

i used a camping stove for years would make about 40-50 from 1 small gas have stepped up now to a cast iron plate stove that runs off a calor bottle much better job

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:03 pm

eoghanb wrote:Always be careful with scrap lead ,air pockets and especially trapped water it goes boom an sprays lead everywhere
thats what this post was all about :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35537&hilit=lead+making

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:14 pm

JOHN1 wrote:Dont under estimate the dangers when making your own leads,things can go very wrong is a split second have a look at a post i made before viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35537&hilit=lead+making someone suggested you need gloves you will also need goggles or what i use now is a full face mask and you will also need good overalls and plenty of air circulating around you :wink:

ive been making weights for years now and never came across air-pockets in the lead or trapped water...i always use cut offs tho of rolled lead for roofs being a chippy twas easy to collect.i knew the obvious stuff like ventilation and never melt lead indoors so cheers for the heads up on the dodgies.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:00 pm

i use a steel ladel and rolls of lead, put 3 or 4 ozs on ladel on the cooker in the kitchen and off u go slow but works, man that was a luckey escape for that chap open the window too people were sayin it releases gas or something when melting but im still alive

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:33 pm

Same stove as me for the lead john,mines an old tele om eireann one if that helps the search forlooking have all the bits too,serious brew making sto es if lead makings not going to plan

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm making leads for many years both comercially as own use.
I use an electric Lee melting stove (biggest one). Very easy in use.
For sale at Bleigussformen.de for acceptable prices. They ship abroad as well

Don't forget to use welding gloves and a mask.

Jeroen