? The best way to use a mackerel fillet as bait.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi I've been fishing for a good while now and I've noticed many anglers use there mack bait in different ways. I try to cut it to suit hooks and species but it doesn't all ways go right,. What is the best way / must useful way you use your fillet.?

Re: ? The best way to use a mackerel fillet as bait.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:56 am

depends on target species.. generally though, I cut diagonally, into strips bout 3/4inch wide and bout 3 inch long..

Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:58 am

A use a 2inch triangle and tred it on so hook tip finishes on the big end and the meat side and then rap tightly so the skin side folds in on its self so u are left with a big meaty bait at your hook tip if ya know what I meen?

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:34 pm

paul skelly wrote:A use a 2inch triangle and tred it on so hook tip finishes on the big end and the meat side and then rap tightly so the skin side folds in on its self so u are left with a big meaty bait at your hook tip if ya know what I meen?

That's a good way Paul I know what you mean that way it keeps the hook tip wide open for a take.
spindlefist wrote:depends on target species.. generally though, I cut diagonally, into strips bout 3/4inch wide and bout 3 inch long..
. Ya spindle fist I would do something similar but not as wind trying to save bait and aim for all species..

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:11 pm

What is the best way / must useful way you use your fillet.?

fresh from the hook, remove heads tails etc, put filets directly skin side down on a preheated Barbeque, turn over when crisp for about 30 seconds, little sprinkle of seasalt, transfer onto a plate and eat the lot with your fingers. Mop up the juices with some crust bread. Best and most useful way ever! :)

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:39 am

The Austrian wrote:
What is the best way / must useful way you use your fillet.?

fresh from the hook, remove heads tails etc, put filets directly skin side down on a preheated Barbeque, turn over when crisp for about 30 seconds, little sprinkle of seasalt, transfer onto a plate and eat the lot with your fingers. Mop up the juices with some crust bread. Best and most useful way ever! :)

:) :lol: :lol: . I should be more careful with my words. Sounds nice tho. Thanks for the reply.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:59 pm

Depends on target species. For most species I like using long thin strips with plenty of the shiny bright belly skin on it. Hook through one end, and I imagine it not only smells good, but also wriggles and wafts in the current to add a visual appeal.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:22 am

Try cutting into sandeel size pieces and fish under a float off the rocks for pollack,just set the depth to suit