Levelwind

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:02 pm

I have a Abu 6500cs with level wind that I've never really made use of. I'm going to buy a multiplier rod shortly and see how I fair out with it. I've read a few posts and everyone seems to be dead against level wind. Why is this? Is it because it drags the line on the cast and reduces distance? Does it drastically reduce distance or would a beginner like myself not really notice much of a difference? Also can it be removed from the reel I have if needs be?

Re: Levelwind

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:58 am

yeah its distance. you can take it off or trade it in for one without. love them for boat fishing but hate them for shore fishing!

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:07 pm

Distance was one thing and I found it a nightmare for birds nets. But as said above it would be great for the boat you could just drop it to the bottom of the sea :lol:
Last edited by razor2 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Hold onto it and use as is .It will help you get the basics and if you like the feel etc you can get conversion kits to make the reel into ct version .

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:27 pm

I just ordered a shakespeare Salt mx rod yesterday so ill give it a lash with that if it comes before the weekend. I pressume even with the level wind I could expect a bit more distance than with my other rod? It's a 12 foot Leeda rod rated 4 to 8 oz with some big standard old Skakespeare fixed spool reel.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:33 pm

its the man behind the rod and reel that gets the distance :wink:

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:40 pm

That's very true but the right tool for the job helps a lot too.
I hope :D

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:27 pm

Kran1230 wrote:I just ordered a shakespeare Salt mx rod yesterday so ill give it a lash with that if it comes before the weekend. I pressume even with the level wind I could expect a bit more distance than with my other rod? It's a 12 foot Leeda rod rated 4 to 8 oz with some big standard old Skakespeare fixed spool reel.

prob get futher with the fixed spool till you get a propper multi ,for your average caster their will be little ,no or maybe less distance with a multi set up ,if you want to cast miles get some lessons its all about what your doing, not what your doing it with :lol: some set ups suit some folks and some dont, i use multi,s and fixed spools and to be honest find a fixed spool is alot more versitile for fishing :wink:

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:55 pm

Ya I find multis with a level wind good for jigging or bait work from the kayak but prefer fixed spool for casting.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:59 am

The Level wind will be a nightmare off the beach and will end up putting you off Multipliers. The problem is that as you start casting harder The Level wind will be slowing down the lead line as it moves from side to side. The spool will continue to revolve at speed and you WILL get birdie after Birdie after Birdie... You can slow the spool down by tightening the pinion, but this is not advised as you can bend the pinion. You can get conversion kits for the reels on Ebay or maybe put them in the buy and sell section on this website and look for a trade..

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:46 pm

My humble advice is to use any of the levelwind reels for boat fishing only, where the rig is merely let down aside the gunnels and not much casting is necessary. They are designed for this type of fishing. The levelwind feature is helpful when you bring up your fish from the bottom to concentrate on the drill rather than on even line lay.
For shore fishing level wind reels are more of a hindrance than anything else, especially if you want to gain on distance in comparison to fixed spool reels. You achieve the exact opposite and the crack-offs and birdies will drive you mad within short time, no matter how good or experienced caster you are.
Stay with fixed spool reels as a beginner, advance to multipliers without levelwind later on when you have mastered a decent off the ground cast with you setup and are confident with the pendulum cast as the next step. Otherwise you might end every day out fishing prematurely with frustration and unnecessary loss of tackle.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks guys. I have only used it twice and so far no birdies or crack offs. I was practising my off the ground casts and was making good progress or so I think myself anyway. I might get a conversion kit for it soon enough though. How hard is it to learn to lay the line on level with your left hand? Seems like such a pain and if I actually caught something I'd say the excitement would get the better of me and I'd forget to spread it evenly.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:39 am

Kran1230 wrote:Thanks guys. I have only used it twice and so far no birdies or crack offs. I was practising my off the ground casts and was making good progress or so I think myself anyway. I might get a conversion kit for it soon enough though. How hard is it to learn to lay the line on level with your left hand? Seems like such a pain and if I actually caught something I'd say the excitement would get the better of me and I'd forget to spread it evenly.

It's easy enough to be honest. It doesn't have to be perfect and normally isn't in the excitment of bringing in a fish. If your practicing your casting your won't be long getting the hang of it and is soon becomes second nature.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Right I'm convinced, going to order a conversion kit. Fairly certain this is the right one?

http://www.blakdogtackle.com/product_in ... g5s9jmgpm3

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Kran1230 wrote:Right I'm convinced, going to order a conversion kit. Fairly certain this is the right one?

http://www.blakdogtackle.com/product_in ... g5s9jmgpm3

That should do it, just be careful transferring all the parts accross and keep your old cage for re-sell or even for a just in case in the future.

IF your handy with the tools, there are bars you can buy that go in place of the levelwind and are a lot cheaper.

Kev

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Before you spend, also check out
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ABU-5500-6500-PM ... 084wt_1170

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ABU-5500-6500-75 ... 554wt_1170

and also,
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ABU-6000-6500-He ... 149wt_1170