Bite detection

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Bite detection

Postby seafisher » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:32 am

Hi I got a new rod for surf fishing for bass it is 12ft with a 4-8oz casting weight. The rod is to heavy to hold in hand and the tip is very stiff so the problem I am having is not being able to detect a bite off a bass, sometimes when I reel in half the bait is gone and sometimes when I think I have a bite the bait is still on the hook any feedback would be much apreciated thanks.
seafisher
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 15 times

Re: Bite detection

Postby patk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:49 am

You will know if you get a bass bite it is very heavy. Sometimes crabs can clean your hooks of bait without any knocking on the rod tip. The waves can create a bend in the rod tip at times but you will see this after while as being constant with the wave pattern and weed catching on the line can also pull the tip a bit. A bite will be irregular sudden etc rather then the slower gradual pull of wave or weed. The other classic bass bite is when the fish picks up the bait and it travels towards you creating a slack line pat

For this message the author patk has received thanks:
donal domeney (Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:56 am)
patk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby seafisher » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks pat how would you know if you got a slack line bite?
seafisher
SAI Lug Worm

Postby patk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:49 pm

If your lead is stuck in the beach whether a grip or not and the line is tight it will suddenly go slack or loose. You will see there is slack line its no longer taut meaning the fish has picked up the bait and rather than going against the rod and out it has swam towards you so the line is loose hope this makes sense
patk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby sparkey+1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:34 pm

One way to get used to bite detection is to fish with two rods and compare the rod tip movement on each as patk said the waves and weed will all move the tip.
Species 2012: Flounder, Whiting, Dublin Bay Codling, Coalie, 3 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Bass, Dogfish, 5.2lb Starry Smoothhound (PB), Twaite Shad, Thornback Ray 5.8lbs (PB), LSD, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Cork Wing Wrasse, 43cm Flounder (PB)

Species 2013: Coalie, East Coast Codling, Smoothounds, And hopefully a back opp to get back fishing soon...
sparkey+1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 267 times

Postby seafisher » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks for the help lads.
seafisher
SAI Lug Worm

Postby The Austrian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:28 pm

On some rods I feel the bite through the tip, if they are sensitive tip rods. On more heavier rods I feel the line that I am holding in my fingers, I slowly lift and feel every poll of the tide, rock, crabs and sometimes fish. When something different to the ordinary happens, slack line, a pulling tap or the pleasing hit, I try to set the hook. Some rods will detect the strike better, some are made to bully a bass out of heavy cover. I believe that the sensibility of your fingers is the best detector, the line moving or going limp, or the rod tip jumping. Use tip lights, bells, whatever you fancy to alert you, the decision when to connect is always yours.
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Postby sparkey+1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:49 pm

One of the rod's I use Abu Garica Stigma, the tip is very sensitive that I can see the tip moving when the peeler is being attacked by the cannibalistic crabs and have learned how to read what the tip is showing me, seafisher you will get to know what the rods is showing you the more hours that you put in fishing but you will know a Bass take. Hope that is of some help to you.
Species 2012: Flounder, Whiting, Dublin Bay Codling, Coalie, 3 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Bass, Dogfish, 5.2lb Starry Smoothhound (PB), Twaite Shad, Thornback Ray 5.8lbs (PB), LSD, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Cork Wing Wrasse, 43cm Flounder (PB)

Species 2013: Coalie, East Coast Codling, Smoothounds, And hopefully a back opp to get back fishing soon...
sparkey+1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 267 times

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers