Shockleader knot catching

Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Well folks after picking up a light beach caster and having a slight issue. the final rod ring is very narrow (like spinning-rod-narrow) and also has a slight chip in it. this is causing my shockleader knot to catch during casting. I'm using a modified Albright knot and it is as neat as possible.

are there any tricks to try and smooth the knot over like some tape or anything??

Cheers

Re: Shockleader knot catching

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Just replace the tip eye for a slightly bigger one, especially if it has a chip in it. Its easily done and most tackle shops will do it for ya if you dont want to try yourself. Should only cost a few euro.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Use a tapered Shockleader

Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:54 pm

I had the same problem with the knot catching. Found this knot that's very small and use a tapered leader also.
Haven't had any trouble since.

http://www.planetseafishing.com/tutoria ... ader-knot/

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:09 am

Tapered shockleaders are good but if the tip ring has a chip it wont matter what leader is on the reel.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:23 am

A modified Albright is nice and neat, but the Mono Tag does have a tenancy to hit the rings during the cast. This will lead to knot failure very quickly. Once it hits once, it will bend the tag and it will get worse.

I would suggest the leader knot on the PSF website above and a new tip ring. A chip will ruin your main line. A tip ring can be removed by slightly heating with a lighter and replaced with some hot melt glue.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks very much everyone will tie a new leader this evening and see about the eye repair.