Damaged rod.. Still ok to use?

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi Lads,

I recently got a Shakespeare Tidewater Braid (20-30lb) rod from my brother who is after moving to Canada. I'm heading out on a boat trip this weekend and was hoping to use it. The problem is that he had it sitting in the back of his van for a couple of months and a two of the rod guides got damaged. The plastic part is missing from two of the guides, the fourth guide form the top and the bottom guide closest to the reel. One guide with plastic still there and one of the damaged guides without plastic are pictured below.

I was wondering if it is possible to use the rod as it is, or will the metal parts of the guide cause the braid to cut? Should I try and replace the guides completely and how would I go about doing this?

I don't want to spend much money on repairs as the rod isn't the best in the world. Ideally I'd like to use it this weekend but not at the expense of possibly losing a decent fish or a couple of hundred meters of braid.

Thanks

Seán
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Damaged rod.. Still ok to use?

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:38 pm

I wouldn't use it.

My local tackle shop replaces lost eyes at a fiver each.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Don't use it, you'll be kicking yourself when you loose a good fish! Better to ask your skipper for a rod this time and have the rings replaced for your next trip when you are in no rush. And tbh - dont bother with these oval braid rings, they are a total failure, change them all to round ones, you wont regret it! Leader knot getting stuck in these etc... lots of issues. Bad design.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks lads. I though it might be risky to use all right. I'll get the rungs replaced as recommended