Hardback crab as bait

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Hardback crab as bait

Postby ark rose glenn » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:18 pm

hi lads I'm just wondering how to present a hardback crab on the hook and are they good for smoothound. I went to collect crab but I got mostly hardback crab and only a few peelers and will the hardback do the same job. I will be fishing from the shore. I just dont know what way to put them on the hook. do u crush them or do u put them on whole .Thanks in advance lads.
Species 2014; coalie, whiting,flounder, smoothound, LSD, codling, pollock,pouting, cookoo wrasse, goldsinny wrasse, mackerel, blue shark, conger eel, rock goby, blenny, plaice, dab, herring, poor cod,painted ray, weaver,
Species 2013:......Whiting, dab , flounder, codling, pouting, mackeral, dogfish, pollock, 3beard rocking,plaice, smoothound, blenny.
Species 2012:...whiting, dab, flounder, codling, pollock, conger,mackeral, herring, 3 beard rockling,
5 beard rockling, pouting, LSD,sea trout,scorpion,
ark rose glenn
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 47 times

Re: Hardback crab as bait

Postby Al » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Hi ARG

I'm sure that they would work but it's mostly the scent and ease of baiting that people use peelers, Hardbacks work well for wrasse fishing, these would mostly be small hardback around the size of a €2 coin, the second last leg is removed and the hook inserted there and out through it's belly! These hardback under a float will cause a lot of movement and attract the fish but with regards to smoothie fishing what's to make them stand out from the other crabs on the seabed if you've no scent?

Basically they could work...but you'll need more luck to catch one!
Al
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 112 times

Postby ark rose glenn » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Cheers mate u have got a good point there. I suppose if I put hard back on and wrapp a bit of peeler on with it for the scent . I don't no sure ill giv it a bash and see how it goes . Thanks for the advice pal.
Species 2014; coalie, whiting,flounder, smoothound, LSD, codling, pollock,pouting, cookoo wrasse, goldsinny wrasse, mackerel, blue shark, conger eel, rock goby, blenny, plaice, dab, herring, poor cod,painted ray, weaver,
Species 2013:......Whiting, dab , flounder, codling, pouting, mackeral, dogfish, pollock, 3beard rocking,plaice, smoothound, blenny.
Species 2012:...whiting, dab, flounder, codling, pollock, conger,mackeral, herring, 3 beard rockling,
5 beard rockling, pouting, LSD,sea trout,scorpion,
ark rose glenn
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 47 times

Postby sparkey+1 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Yes they do PM sent :wink:
Species 2012: Flounder, Whiting, Dublin Bay Codling, Coalie, 3 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Bass, Dogfish, 5.2lb Starry Smoothhound (PB), Twaite Shad, Thornback Ray 5.8lbs (PB), LSD, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Cork Wing Wrasse, 43cm Flounder (PB)

Species 2013: Coalie, East Coast Codling, Smoothounds, And hopefully a back opp to get back fishing soon...
sparkey+1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 267 times

Postby Al » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:37 pm

sparkey+1 wrote:Yes they do PM sent :wink:

Dave do you find them as reliable as peelers? I've had success with the crinkly crabs all right!
Al
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 112 times

Postby sparkey+1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:59 pm

PM sent
Species 2012: Flounder, Whiting, Dublin Bay Codling, Coalie, 3 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Bass, Dogfish, 5.2lb Starry Smoothhound (PB), Twaite Shad, Thornback Ray 5.8lbs (PB), LSD, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Cork Wing Wrasse, 43cm Flounder (PB)

Species 2013: Coalie, East Coast Codling, Smoothounds, And hopefully a back opp to get back fishing soon...
sparkey+1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 267 times

Postby redzerologhlen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:17 pm

sparkey+1 wrote:PM sent

Any chance you can fill me in on how to bait them up, have came across hundreds of them but never bothered to try any as off yet. Had meant to try small hardbacks for wrasse but was catching a lot of them on lures and never bothered after.
Species list 2013.Conger, Launce, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Dogfish, 3b rockling, Bull Huss, Mackeral, Tub Gurnard.

Species list 2012. Mackeral, Pollock, Coalie, Bass, Dab, Weeverfish, Bull Huss, Poor Cod, Grey Gurnard, Ballan wrasse, Long spined sea scorpion, Conger, Pouting.
redzerologhlen
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 38 times

Postby agardiner22 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:25 pm

limpet for the wrasse redzer, but this is way I use the hardback as bait, with a few wraps of bait elastic
Always CAR! unless its a pollock...!

2012 species: Pollock, Mack, Coalfish, Gurnard, Bullhuss, Dogfish and Wrasse.
Would do anything for a bass!
agardiner22
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 68 times

Postby agardiner22 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:48 pm

limpet for the wrasse redzer, but this is way I use the hardback as bait, with a few wraps of bait elastic
http://youtu.be/bKarqpMr3wI
Always CAR! unless its a pollock...!

2012 species: Pollock, Mack, Coalfish, Gurnard, Bullhuss, Dogfish and Wrasse.
Would do anything for a bass!
agardiner22
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 68 times

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers